I think I have finally realized I have to bite the bullet and deal with the problem.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other suggestion I would make is to not solely rely on the ammonia badge. I have had them fail to warn me before, and it is easy enough to test for ammonia with a test kit. I will still stick a badge on the tank just in case, but now I also test at times that I know there could be ammonia present.
Per @Humblefish you can also safely use a product like Prime with Copper Power if needed. I ended up using it a few times on my qt tanks at the start with no ill effects.

OP
OP
Florida Sunshine

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very good to know. I read a lot of places that say you can't use Copper with Prime. Must be something different about Copper Power.

OP
OP
Florida Sunshine

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have had some unexpected things come up that have prevented me from catching my fish and putting them in the QT to start treatment. I believe I have everything I need and am ready to go with the QT cycled. I am ghost feeding it now to keep it cycled and I had to replace the hob filter because the old one shocked me when I put my hand in the QT.
Hopefully this weekend we can go on a fish trapping/catching the fish and put them in QT to start treatment.
If anyone was experiencing symptoms I would be in more of a rush.

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been in this hobby for over 20 years in one way or another (once up to 3 tanks totaling about 250 gallons of water.)
We got rid of several tanks and kept only our Oceanic 90g Tech Tank.
This tank has been through everything. I finally have the aiptasia almost beat. This week I will remove the only rock I know of in the tank that still has colonial hydroids.
The tank has MP40s for circulation, Raidon lights and is finally looking pretty good. Some soft corals growing nicely and an RBTA that is gigantic. Oh and we recently purchased a clam for the first time in a long time and it is doing pretty good so far (about 3 weeks).
Sound good right. A tank on the way to wonderfulness.
Well that is almost true. Unfortunately, I have been forced to admit that the tanks is infected with either ich or velvet. I don't have very many fish. Right now, I have only a Picasso Clown that I have had for 10 years, a flame hawk that I adore, and a gorgeous Red Sea Sailfin tang. (I know my tank is too small but it is fine for the foreseeable future.)
When we got the Sailfin it came down with something that I thought was velvet. Not having any way of treating the fish I just kept a close eye on water changes and rooted for him. It got really ugly for a while, but he made a miraculous full recovery and is absolutely gorgeous. My other fish have not shown any signs or symptoms of disease.
However I cannot add any new fish. Anything I have purchased since has either disappeared quickly or in the case of a Powder Blue Tang I bought a month ago, develop velvet type symptoms and die quickly.
If anybody is still reading I am getting ready to capture my fish and treat them in a hospital tank while leaving my tank fallow for 79 days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back