I think I have made a huge mistake. My trigger just ate one of my firefish

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predators usually last without feeding for a while in the wild. Protein lasts long than veggies. It's why you see tangs always grazing, but you don't see sharks eating everything they see.

Let us know after a month..
According to my official sources, ~1000 sharks will eat 6 people per hour:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the problem is adding them directly into the tank. Our fish tend to get trained to think everything dropping into the tank as full. It's fair since that's what they experience every day. I had similar experience before, adding two cleaner shrimp to the tank directly in the middle of the day, one immediate got eaten like it was a big krill. The other lived with the trigger for years. Your trigger probably thought you were feeding silverside.

There are couple way to avoid it. One can be add the new fish after lights off, when fish went to sleep. The better way is to add new fish into an acclimation box and keep them there for several days before allowing them to come out.

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TheA Paragraph from my LFS See red text:
The Purple Firefish only gets to be about 3.5 to 4 inches when fully grown and can be kept in saltwater nano tanks as small as 10 gallons. Obviously, with a small tank you need to be extra diligent with your water quality. Behavior wise, they should do well with most species of similar size and temperament. If you're planning on keeping them in multiples, you may have issues. Some say it can be done (in very large setups) others say you should only keep one per tank. According to Scott Michael, "they (N. decora) are the most aggressive of the firefishes, it should be housed singly or in male-female pairs". Determining gender is very difficult if at all possible. Be on the safe side and only stock one per tank. Also, given their size, you don't want to keep them in tanks with Triggers, Lionfish, etc.You should also know that they are accomplished tank jumpers. Having an open top tank may not work out for you with this species. A fitted aquarium hood with limited escape points is a necessity. Live rock or other suitable items that can provide shelter for the Purple Firefish are also needed. These hiding places may help them acclimate quicker and lessen the chances of tank jumping.

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue throat and Niger-two trigger considered the most peaceful hunt down the pack of firefish I released at the middle of the night. At the morning the Niger is chewing on one and one another is missing

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back