I think I may have made a mistake?

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have never really done any serious aquascaping so when I decided to upgrade I tried pretty hard to make it look aesthetically pleasing. One thing I neglected was making sure everything stuck together‍♂️. Am I alright to just leave it be? What is the next step? Additionally; is my aquascaping alright for all kinds of coral?

IMG_0713.jpeg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your biggest concern?
Do you have pieces/sections that obviously move if you bump them and feel like they could easily topple?
...or are you just doing a visual assessment from the outside and thinking about problem areas?

I'd think you'd be feeling that out as you were stacking but you could assess some with your hands in the tank now if you didn't pay that much attention when you were putting the rock in.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have never really done any serious aquascaping so when I decided to upgrade I tried pretty hard to make it look aesthetically pleasing. One thing I neglected was making sure everything stuck together‍♂️. Am I alright to just leave it be? What is the next step? Additionally; is my aquascaping alright for all kinds of coral?

IMG_0713.jpeg
Looks good. Is there enough room to get an algae scraper on the glass back of the tank behind the rock?

How are the rocks held together? Stacking alone is not a good idea unless they fit really well together

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Is there enough room to get an algae scraper on the glass back of the tank behind the rock?

How are the rocks held together? Stacking alone is not a good idea unless they fit really well together
I stacked them, didn’t realize there was another way until I read up on aquascaping unfortunately. There’s enough room for a scraper for the back glass.

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your biggest concern?
Do you have pieces/sections that obviously move if you bump them and feel like they could easily topple?
...or are you just doing a visual assessment from the outside and thinking about problem areas?

I'd think you'd be feeling that out as you were stacking but you could assess some with your hands in the tank now if you didn't pay that much attention when you were putting the rock in.
I am just doing a visual assessment, I was pretty careful with everything except the fact that I stacked.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just doing a visual assessment, I was pretty careful with everything except the fact that I stacked.
Just personally, I'd go by how sturdy it feels in the tank.
If it seems unlikely that something like an earthquake or just you bumping something would topple anything, I'd just leave it.
*any parts that seem iffy could hopefully be sured up with underwater epoxy

Being able to remove sections if needed/desired has benefits anyway.
*in an ideal world, I'd like rods for security and still be able to remove major sections but I was too lazy to do that

Hard to tell anything really from a 2D picture but if your keyway rock over your cave/passthrough in the middle is really stable and everything working up and outward is stable to that,,, "feels" (to me) like you'll be fine, IMO

...only other thing, are your base rocks set on the sand where they might settle and shift, or sitting mainly on the bottom glass?

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just personally, I'd go by how sturdy it feels in the tank.
If it seems unlikely that something like an earthquake or just you bumping something would topple anything, I'd just leave it.
*any parts that seem iffy could hopefully be sured up with underwater epoxy

Being able to remove sections if needed/desired has benefits anyway.
*in an ideal world, I'd like rods for security and still be able to remove major sections but I was too lazy to do that

Hard to tell anything really from a 2D picture but if your keyway rock over your cave/passthrough in the middle is really stable and everything working up and outward is stable to that,,, "feels" (to me) like you'll be fine, IMO

...only other thing, are your base rocks set on the sand where they might settle and shift, or sitting mainly on the bottom glass?
the rocks are sitting on the bottom glass with the exception of one, bc I kinda forgot abt it when doing the aquascaping lol. It’s not a very important rock, and next water change I’ll prob try and put on the glass. My middle rock feels very stable.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back