I think I might have dinos

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My laughing emoji didn’t show up in the post. I’m shaking my head at myself, but am slightly amused lol. My amusement might just be from relief. I never even noticed the metal brackets being slightly under the waters edge. I am so glad that you said that and I went to check over the tank.
Btw check sump also. Try to have no metal of any kind in the water or touching the water.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the care packages from @Ohashimz . It’s unbelievable. I will upload pics later this evening since I am overrun with kiddos and have fam visiting.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awesome, way to go reefing community!

My dinos were successfully beaten back with nitrate/phosphate dosing, turning off my skimmer, and running a UV sterilizer.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the care packages from @Ohashimz . It’s unbelievable. I will upload pics later this evening since I am overrun with kiddos and have fam visiting.
Willow, its really not a big deal. Please do not talk about it and no need to post pictures. It was my plesure and I mean it. Just enjoy reefing and keep doing what you doing..

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little fish, inverts, and corals are all happy and I love watching them [emoji3590]
Very good,

Post your latest details
Parameters
Filtration
Water change
Are you using carbon yet?
Anything else you started using?
Pictures...

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good,

Post your latest details
Parameters
Filtration
Water change
Are you using carbon yet?
Anything else you started using?
Pictures...
I’m at work (the temp job) right now. Btw... I got the great job! Woohoo!
My salinity is 1.025/1.026 and the pH was 8.1 before I left the house. I tested alkalinity, but can’t remember the number.
I do my water change tomorrow morning when I get home and I test all parameters before I do the water change to know my worst case numbers. I’m waiting on the carbon to come in. I don’t know how to use the media reactor you gave me and I want to get that going in there. I know I need to get some tubing and some sort of pump. I’ve never used reactors before and want to make sure to do it correctly.
I have 4 freshwater carbon filters for a 50-100 gallon filter in there right now so that the water has to run through them before the skimmer. I have UV running on the tank which adds to flow and I have 3 powerheads and a return for flow.

My socks are in the washer right now and I filled up my ato with the limewater and RODI mix before I left for work. (I’m looking at the Kh guardian/ director etc to keep alk stable for in the future, but still in the light research stage)
Tomorrow morning I do the water change, put in new socks and empty/clean my skimmer before going to bed.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I forgot to tell you! One of the foods I was using could have caused issues. I called the manufacturer and they no longer recommend it for reef tanks. They said it was invert safe.... but now they say to only use it in Fowler and that it is not invert safe. They had me do a 40% water change and run carbon, so I did that.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I forgot to tell you! One of the foods I was using could have caused issues. I called the manufacturer and they no longer recommend it for reef tanks. They said it was invert safe.... but now they say to only use it in Fowler and that it is not invert safe. They had me do a 40% water change and run carbon, so I did that.
Good god... what food is that? Run carbon all the time. Its good.
Use one of the reactors for carbon, reserve the other for something else lile gfo if you need it one day

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters. Salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30 (wow, but it’s water change day)
Copper 0.00
Ph 8.6
Alk 9.1
Temp 77.0
PO4 o.5
Calcium 475-480
Magnesium 1335

New life spectrum medicated food. Its supposed to help with ich and others. I was using it as a preventative since I don’t quarantine corals. It says to not feed it to your corals. Remove uneaten food from the tank, etc, but that it is invert safe. It’s not very invert safe and not safe for corals. It’s probably a great option for someone battling with a sick tank, but not for someone like me with what I have.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably sleep all day today when I get off work today to just catch up on sleep, but am looking forward to hooking up the Apex Jr. tomorrow :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.5%
Back