I think my bangai cardinal might be carrying babies. What do you think?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I got the pair bangai cardinals a couple months ago and they have had babies before for the previous owner. Well they have been very happy and healthy since I got them and eating like crazy for many weeks. Well today I noticed them swimming around like normal, but one of them will not open his mouth to eat. I mean he swims around like he is interested but will not even try the food. His lower jaw is massive compared to the other one and I was thinking that maybe he is carrying a clutch.

What say you??? LOL!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You think so?? :D

Phatboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Not really but yeah, you cant tell us something like this and not post at least one pic.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, hes carrying the babies! congrats rev. i used to have a breeding pair, and it was always facinating to see. just wait til you can see all the little pairs of eyes staring out of his mouth :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really nothing to see right now. You can't see the eggs yet, but you better believe I will get pick if i can!

I have started a tank just for them several weeks ago, do you think i should go ahead and move them now before they get too far along?

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would, better safe then sorry and better to be early then late i would also put a urchin in the tank with them

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I purchased the pair their big urchin came with them, so that covered. Thanks for the congrats!! :D

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would prob. go ahead and move them rev. you take a chance either way of him releasing the eggs to early. because you will want to move them anyways within the next couple weeks. i would say do it now, so that if he does release them early, then you havent waited a few weeks just for them to not live. if you move them now and he releases then at least you didnt loose the time. and the cardinals can just mate again.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just make sure you feed the male really well when hes not holding :)

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the urchin needed? IDK?

The fry hide in the spines after they are released so other fish can't eat them.

Thats cool Rev - it'll be neat to see how it turns out for you

Bangai_Urchin.jpg

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulation, Rev!

Their brother is holding eggs right now. It happened three days ago. Their father held egg/babies for longer than he was supposed to (a little over 30 days vs. normal 27 days), but both dad and babies came through birthing process without any problem. I will start looking for babies late this month. Unfortunately mine is in my 180 reef with a very high flow. I may still find a few babies in the sump, though.

Is the new tank small enough to put a divider in? You can separate the male and babies with the divider when the babies come. Then, you can rest your male for a couple of weeks to a month before you put him back in the tank where your female is.

Now is the time to order Selcon and some brine shrimp eggs to get ready. I recommend that you get some frozen Cyclopeeze, too. You can use frozen bbs instead, but I like to let the babies get familiar with other frozen food early on. They turn into real picky eaters within a few weeks. The sooner you can get them on a variety of frozen food, the better off you are going to be. Keeping them solely on brine shrimp invites Sudden Fright Syndrome (SFS). It causes babies to faint suddenly and some may never wake up while most recovers in a few minutes. It's frightening to see babies spiralling down to the bottom of the tank.

HTH,

Tomoko

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 58 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back