I think my coral is broken

  • Thread starter Thread starter Taxus812
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2019
Messages
716
Reaction score
789
Location
Windsor
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a flow problem with a broken flow pump while I was on vacation. My candy cane which used to be happy shrank and did not extend at night. I seen some hair algae growing heavy on the stocks and decided to clean it. To my horror the green tops disintegrated leaving almost nothing there. I just went upstairs to look at it and found this fuzz.


Did I destroy my coral cleaning it ?
97C006E1-2806-4E7E-815E-3427F7D3869A.jpeg
 
Had a similar thing happen with a blasto. It looked like its mouth was gaping. I waved my hand in front of it and all the flesh just disappeared. It's like it melted but the flesh just sat there fully colored
 
I made the mistake of blasting my Blastomussa when feeding it and the flesh came off four of the heads. I felt so horrible, but over the last few weeks it has started to grow back and it is now looking pretty good! You live and learn and I will be more careful from now on.

Here is a pic of my recovering Blasto:

IMG_1774.jpg


Hopefully your coral recovers and you have learned to be more careful when handling it in the future.
 
Just an update. It did recover. Now I have to figure out how to get the GHA off of it without damaging it again.


A7BE31C5-2F64-422B-886E-8D10A23286CF.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new