I think my oyster spawned today

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my Pacific oyster spawned sometime today (at least one of the two that I have). I haven't seen it happen in real time though.
I found some white stuff on the bottom and I think these are the sperm of a male oyster that settled to the bottom of the tank.
There are a ton of tiny particles floating in the water. I think the oysters are the only thing in my tank that can spawn this much of anything.
I have not seen the oyster sperm or eggs before so I can't be sure but from what I've read, the eggs spawned by female oysters should be bigger so I think these are the sperm and not the eggs.
The water temp went up by around 2 degrees Celsius over last week so it makes so it was the right condition for it to spawn but I've never expected it.
The nems, shrimps, and bristle worms all seem quite excited for some reason. Especially the bristle worms. They are crawling out from the rocks.
I don't have any corals in my tank to feast on these.
Too bad I don't have a microscope with me yet. I ordered one recently and I'm still waiting for it to get here (should be in about 3~4 days).

IMG_20230516_233309.jpg

IMG_20230516_233321.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back