I think my plate coral is dying

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s wrong with my plate is it dying is it too late to save please help me guys!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tissue is retracting - which is not necessarily mean its going to die - however its definitely not doing well. Any changes recently? Other coral OK? Do you happen to have a coral dip?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - one very negative symptom would be - if you raise the coral just slightly above the water - if it smells like dead tissue,, thats a very bad sign. Are you sure no fish are picking on it?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have coral dip and no fish pick at it
Just curious - have you ever stood back so the fish can't see you and watched it - what type of fish are in the tank. Which dip do you have. Additionally, how are your other corals doing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - have you ever stood back so the fish can't see you and watched it - what type of fish are in the tank. Which dip do you have. Additionally, how are your other corals doing
The others are doing excellent and started looking after cause that’s what I thought too but it’s not the fish, and I have two little fishies revive coral cleaner

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The others are doing excellent and started looking after cause that’s what I thought too but it’s not the fish, and I have two little fishies revive coral cleaner
I had a very cute lemon peel angel. And a tank full of soft coral. I never saw any problems - then all the sudden, one by one, problems. Then - I saw by luck the angel literally eating chomp after chomp of the coral. So - @vetteguy53081 has some great recommendations - i.e. setting up a camera/phone to take a video when you're not directly watching.

as to the dip - I might try that per the instructions

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very cute lemon peel angel. And a tank full of soft coral. I never saw any problems - then all the sudden, one by one, problems. Then - I saw by luck the angel literally eating chomp after chomp of the coral. So - @vetteguy53081 has some great recommendations - i.e. setting up a camera/phone to take a video when you're not directly watching.

as to the dip - I might try that per the instructions
Ok thanks yeah for fish I don’t have any angels the only possible ones are the Blue throat trigger or the valentine puffer but they are well fed and have never ever picked at it but I will dip it definitely thanks

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral does great, then retracts and dies, 3-6 months.
Sorry, wish I could give better news.
Shouldn’t be sold IMM.
Maybe others have better luck.
My first one did that too. Now I have had 2 in the corner of my tank for 2 years. I think they do better in pairs touching together.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thanks yeah for fish I don’t have any angels the only possible ones are the Blue throat trigger or the valentine puffer but they are well fed and have never ever picked at it but I will dip it definitely thanks
puffer would be my Prime suspect which will nip even in curiosity

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What’s wrong with my plate is it dying is it too late to save please help me guys!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is stress and can be from too much light, irritation from sand, elevated alk, low calcium, high phosphates and nipping. assure also salinity and flow has not changed as these corals are quite forgiving

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is stress and can be from too much light, irritation from sand, elevated alk, low calcium, high phosphates and nipping. assure also salinity and flow has not changed as these corals are quite forgiving
curious - what could it not be from - since you mentioned every possibility? Not meant to critique - but I'm totally not sure

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hard to say why a list for process of elimination was provided. Least would be swings or spikes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious - what could it not be from - since you mentioned every possibility? Not meant to critique - but I'm totally not sure
I am trying to figure out cause all my other coral are perfect the LPs sps and softies but the plate is the only coral acting this way

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out cause all my other coral are perfect the LPs sps and softies but the plate is the only coral acting this way
There are a few corals (fish and inverts too) which seem not to do well even in the best conditions.

I’ve tried the LT plate 6 times over 3 systems, same demise each time, but after a few months.

Anyone have one that’s more than a year?

Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same out come years ago good for up to a year then all of a sudden that. A guy at an lfs had me put one on a piece of shelf rock just off the sand had it for 3 years before I took the sytem down. Sand seems to be not a great place for them in our systems contrary to popular belief.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back