Plate Coral Dying.

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Need some advice. I have had my plate for a few months now, and I recently went on vacation and came back to my plate dying through the middle. what should I do? Is it a goner?

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 20
Phosphate .08
Alk 8.6
Calcium 450

IMG_0348.jpeg IMG_0347.jpeg

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iodine would be ideal. were there any changes to the tank recently? new fish, coral? mechanical/filtration changes?
Honestly no… that’s the strange thing. The only most notable thing I’ve done was add reef flux for my GHA problem, about a month ago, but I already did the whole cycle and did the water change.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Don’t know. They are known to be fine and just straight up die. Leave the skeleton in it has it can spawn babies after months

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Honestly no… that’s the strange thing. The only most notable thing I’ve done was add reef flux for my GHA problem, about a month ago, but I already did the whole cycle and did the water change.
what CUC and fish do you have? maybe a fish or crab nicked the coral and bacteria made it worse

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what CUC and fish do you have? maybe a fish or crab nicked the coral and bacteria made it worse
My build thread has all the currents.

But red and blue hermits, Mexican turbo, asteras and two clowns. I also have an emerald crab I need to evict. I caught it the other day trying to eat some of my gonio, but I’ve never seen it go anywhere near the plate, but he could be the source.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My build thread has all the currents.

But red and blue hermits, Mexican turbo, asteras and two clowns. I also have an emerald crab I need to evict. I caught it the other day trying to eat some of my gonio, but I’ve never seen it go anywhere near the plate, but he could be the source.
emeralds do go rogue at times. especially more so if they’re male(allegedly the females are less prone to eat corals). i’ve seen hermits go after corals in my tank but generally it’s when they’re already on their way out

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emeralds do go rogue at times. especially more so if they’re male(allegedly the females are less prone to eat corals). i’ve seen hermits go after corals in my tank but generally it’s when they’re already on their way out
Yeah it’s a male… quite honestly too big for the tank. He’s grown insanely huge, and always runs over everything. He may be the culprit. What are the chances it would spawn baby plates?

Attachments

• IMG_3055.jpeg
    IMG_3055.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3052.jpeg
    IMG_3052.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 30

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a male… quite honestly too big for the tank. He’s grown insanely huge, and always runs over everything. He may be the culprit. What are the chances it would spawn baby plates?
I’d keep an eye on that wall hammer too it’s not looking to good. It looks like the flesh ring has receded. Your parameters don’t look bad what’s your mag at? And do you feed your corals?

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep an eye on that wall hammer too it’s not looking to good. It looks like the flesh ring has receded. Your parameters don’t look bad what’s your mag at? And do you feed your corals?
Yeah that’s an old pic! Hammer is doing way better, that picture was taken after I had just gotten the hammer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 20

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s an old pic! Hammer is doing way better, that picture was taken after I had just gotten the hammer.
Nice I’m always paranoid after I’ve lost a torch not catching it quick enough. It would open just fine until one day it didn’t. It wasn’t till after I realized the flesh coat was receding. now every night I check my torches and hammer. To make sure the have a heathy looking flesh band.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I’m always paranoid after I’ve lost a torch not catching it quick enough. It would open just fine until one day it didn’t. It wasn’t till after I realized the flesh coat was receding. now every night I check my torches and hammer. To make sure the have a heathy looking flesh band.
It’s strange honestly, because there will be days, where once the lights turn off, the polyps on every hammer in my tank will become very thin and skinny and will recede a lot. Not too sure if everyone experiences this, but I asked my LFS and they have never seen anything like that either. Maybe it has to due with HUE lights above tank.

Anyways just dipped my plate in coral RX and will go to store tomorrow to get iodine dip.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s strange honestly, because there will be days, where once the lights turn off, the polyps on every hammer in my tank will become very thin and skinny and will recede a lot. Not too sure if everyone experiences this, but I asked my LFS and they have never seen anything like that either. Maybe it has to due with HUE lights above tank.

Anyways just dipped my plate in coral RX and will go to store tomorrow to get iodine dip.
That’s normal mine do that as well as the torches. What I’m talking about is under them on the skeleton.

Attachments

• IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 19

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back