OP
OP
RabidClownFish

RabidClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
our Tank is a 75 gallon. had it for about one year. how long have you had your Tank? are The Salt Levels balanced good enough to make sure the Fish & coral are healthy?
The tank has been a long project but I first added fish about three maybe three and a half months ago. The salt levels have been pretty consistent minus small swings from evaporation and then topping off. I still have to install an auto top off

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lean more toward the cycle not running efficiently. Almost like new tank syndrome. Maybe start dosing some nitrobacter7 or some other to start with. Won’t hurt if not the problem either.
Maybe some excessively large WCs too and see if you get a positive response.
Heck sometimes it’s like shooting in the dark.
Sorry for your troubles.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about the tap water as the primary wild card especially assuming you are topping off with tap water, meaning anything in the tap water (metals, etc) is just getting more and more concentrated in your tank.

Can you hook your RO/DI up to a utility sink or hose spigot temporarily? Adapters are pretty easy to come by at the local hardware store. Fill up a big brute garbage can or 2 and mix up fresh saltwater and do a few bigger water changes to dilute / remove anything that may be building up in your tank.

Your RO unit may even have come with adapters otherwise things like this are easy to come by:

1667218729501.png

Also, I haven't used these in ages, but maybe try a polyfilter pad to remove any metals, etc. introduced by the tap water.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the tap water as well, we have no idea whats in your water and what you're adding to the tank.

Sounds like you've got most issue's under control, and you went all out on a beautiful tank and fish, but you cheaped out on the 2 most important tools in our hobby; the rodi and the ATO

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wrote you wash your hands thoroughly, good, unless you are using perfumed liquid "soap". It can be nasty and toxic to aquatic life. Same as many air "fresheners"(poisoners imho) and some hand creams.
I have a bar of grey unscented soap for pre maintenance wash.

Btw, washing machine connection usually has stop valve and is removable without tools.
Add appropriate adapter, usually 3/4" to 1/4" push fit, same as linked few posts above garden hose adapter and off you go with your RODI.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot's of good suggestions here. I also think the two main factors are quite likely tap water and potentially soap used for hand washing. I keep some Dr. Bronner's biodegradable on hand for pre work wash down. Then I wait for a least an hour to dry out thoroughly.

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking aboutiteven with dead fish rotting away amoonia should remain undetectable in cycled tank.
My suspicion is something killed nitrifying bacteria, antibac soap, or use of air freshener in the room. Possibly friends/family looking after the tank didn't like the smell in the room?

OP
OP
RabidClownFish

RabidClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry I haven’t been updating here! So, I had a local expect come check everything out and he said I was massively over feeding. I was under the impression that my hermit crabs have been starving to death which was sad so I had been doing extra food that I didn’t even think was too much but he said it was way overboard.

He helped me get my stuff organized, he got my trident working, hooked up my RO for me, and recommended I take a couple days off from feeding. I haven’t put any food in the tank for a day and a half now and everyone looks a lot happier. Things seem to be looking up for now. Thank you for all the replies and advice I really appreciate y’all

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When all disease preps are skipped, literally every possible one, we don’t look for a parameter problem here

parameters in a reef tank don’t kill fish

read and apply disease preps from Jays disease forum here

you have a new tank under eight mod old, disease losses are fully expected here or those stickies wouldn’t be the first read in Jays forum. Disease is where you start, you don’t slowly wind up maybe accepting it could be

parameters will almost never cause slow staggered fish loss, soon to not be slow.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was not an ammonia spike death at all. That doesn’t happen in display reefing, that was made up to fit losses the unpire doesn’t want to check against common disease preps

reef tanks can handle large feeding, no ammonia control issue happens in reefing, not ever, it’s made up.

it would be listed as a risk in stickies we can read, it’s not, it’s made up

delayed cycle blamed for no prep fish death

ammonia was posted on page one, then we overrode that to still blame ammonia

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the temp (76.5), salinity (1.025), ammonia (0), nitrates (pretty high at about 20 ppm

you werent even getting high nitrates, 180 is high, this isn’t feed relayed and don’t try and revolt because I mentioned disease team lol

run this entire post in the disease forum let’s see contrasting evals.

I can’t see logically how umpires here ruled out disease fully to the point it doesn’t factor, there’s an entire forum showing what happens by month eight in new tanks skipping preps.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back