I wanna host a frag swap.

728Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola ! Fellow refers!
I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years...
Just set up a 250 and she is ready to rock and roll.
I'd love to host a frag swap!
Got a nice pad entry of room for table and displays...
Help me kick-start my new tank make some friends and meet other reaefers in my local community!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rent

If it wasn’t for covid... playing host to local clubs and grilling was the thing to do before.

OP
OP
728Steele

728Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rent

If it wasn’t for covid... playing host to local clubs and grilling was the thing to do before.
EXACTLY!
but even with covid.. we can keep it under control. Masks, limit attendees or have them come at different times...
Where there's a will there's a way.
I think we could still have a safe fun time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone remember when life was fun... lol

Ya I went to those reef gatherings and it was great and I don’t think anyone got sued lol

I know a small club in MN would host a reef camp every summer... they invited other clubs and such... basically camp out for the weekend... fire...food....fun.. lake.. and usually some sort of reef related activitys like how to make DIY rock or aquascape techniques.. etc.

Last edited:

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a ton of frag swaps out there. Spirit a little dampened by ‘rona but they’re out there. Challenge would be convincing anyone to come I’d guess. Like what draw do you have to convince sellers to set up and buyers to show up. It’s a chicken/egg scenario. Sellers taking the time/risk to move gear and inventory to you not knowing what buyers will show. Buyers likely won’t show if it’s unknown who’s selling. Best way to meet the locals is check the local store or find a local club.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first frag swap was in someones back yard back in 2005.My first year in reefing.Still have a Red mushroom from that swap.Back before they started to ask vendors.

OP
OP
728Steele

728Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No interest in vendors...
It's a frag swap...
Cool people with cool tanks and some frags to trade for other cool frags ...
A community thing.
I remember a time when you didn't have to spend 15k to enjoy a gorgoues reef tank with every rare coral around.
Potluck style..

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of hobby only swap. A local shop to me hosted one like that a while back. The skeptic in me says it may be tough though. New guy to the hobby trying to host a swap. You even say “help me kick start my tank”. Has the feeling of “bring the corals to me to shop through.”

Is there a club near you that hosts one already? Clubs/ hanging at the LFS def the best way to meet local hobbyists. Get a bit of cache with the local club and then host one. Feel like that had better odds of success.

OP
OP
728Steele

728Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of hobby only swap. A local shop to me hosted one like that a while back. The skeptic in me says it may be tough though. New guy to the hobby trying to host a swap. You even say “help me kick start my tank”. Has the feeling of “bring the corals to me to shop through.”

Is there a club near you that hosts one already? Clubs/ hanging at the LFS def the best way to meet local hobbyists. Get a bit of cache with the local club and then host one. Feel like that had better odds of success.
I'm NOT new...
Just a new user name...
Look up Stoneyk on reef central...
This is the way it should be..
Yep. Everyone wants the deal-of-the-century secretly getting prized corals out of fellow hobbyists on a quick hustle.

Its like Poker Night where coming away with more than you brought is a WIN

Having a personal frag party sounds more like a hidden agenda to come away with corals that were a "steal"

But....
Business Hustle GIF by ABC Network
Or if your NOT having paranoid delusions it means come hang out bring some corals to swap I might BUY some since I have nothing to trade, help me meet some new reef buddies and have a decent day. No hidden agenda.
Arrange your swaps before hand come and eat bbq for all I care. Man this used to be a fun way to meet people I thought since before I was a teenager and couldn't host it might be fun to host one. Pay it forward as it were.
I didn't ask for any handouts.
Whats with all the negative bs?
You always think everyone is out to get you?
Maybe that's how you roll so you immediately assume everyone else does?
Dunno what to tell you dude I'm honestly shocked at a few of the responses to this thread.
I thought it would be a cool deal for EVERYONE.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola ! Fellow refers!
I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years...
Just set up a 250 and she is ready to rock and roll.
I'd love to host a frag swap!
Got a nice pad entry of room for table and displays...
Help me kick-start my new tank make some friends and meet other reaefers in my local community!
Man, I started reefing at the start of covid. I've known nothing but youtube videos and online vendors. I'm dying for a reefing swap, be it at a convention center, or someone's backyard. I don't even want anything - I'd pay you for the privilege to go AND supply the beers - just so I can make some RL reefing friends ;) Too bad we're on opposite sides of the country.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm NOT new...
Just a new user name...
Look up Stoneyk on reef central...
This is the way it should be..

Or if your NOT having paranoid delusions it means come hang out bring some corals to swap I might BUY some since I have nothing to trade, help me meet some new reef buddies and have a decent day. No hidden agenda.
Arrange your swaps before hand come and eat bbq for all I care. Man this used to be a fun way to meet people I thought since before I was a teenager and couldn't host it might be fun to host one. Pay it forward as it were.
I didn't ask for any handouts.
Whats with all the negative bs?
You always think everyone is out to get you?
Maybe that's how you roll so you immediately assume everyone else does?
Dunno what to tell you dude I'm honestly shocked at a few of the responses to this thread.t
I thought it would be a cool deal for EVERYONE.
Times changed... People don’t want interaction anymore just communicate via text and ship items. Any physical human interaction is frowned upon.

OP
OP
728Steele

728Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats lame...
You don't have to be a hermit to be safe.
I'm not saying g you should go tongue kissing at frag swaps but I work on set with lots of different people everyday.
We wear masks. We distance we take precautions and have been just fine.
It isn't healthy to isolate yourself from the world either. Unless your particularly vulnerable to covid there's no reason for that. We know how to keep ourselves safe

OP
OP
728Steele

728Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I started reefing at the start of covid. I've known nothing but youtube videos and online vendors. I'm dying for a reefing swap, be it at a convention center, or someone's backyard. I don't even want anything - I'd pay you for the privilege to go AND supply the beers - just so I can make some RL reefing friends ;) Too bad we're on opposite sides of the country.
No need to pay...lol
But I think good precautions should be taken.
Maybe spread the gathering over the whole day. Do it in shifts? Pre arrange some swaps?
I'm gonna set up a post give some time for people to prep.
I'm going to consult out covid officers on set and see what they think would be some good ideas to keep everyone safe but still be able to have fun.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back