I want to go big…. BUT do I ? 250 ~400 gallons

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how this is even remotely possible.

It took 6 on my GC 300, to get it off the trailer and inside, and that wasn't enough.
We weren’t going from the ground to the stand.. I built a cart the exact height of my stand so we only had to lift it a couple inches to move.. only hard part was a trailer to cart and had to lift it a total of 2ft at best.. my tank is all 1/2” glass with a euro..

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We weren’t going from the ground to the stand.. I built a cart the exact height of my stand so we only had to lift it a couple inches to move.. only hard part was a trailer to cart and had to lift it a total of 2ft at best.. my tank is all 1/2” glass with a euro..
That makes a lot more sense. We had to come up from the ground off the trailer, up the driveway around the house, in through the back door and onto the stand.

6 was not enough.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot more sense. We had to come up from the ground off the trailer, up the driveway around the house, in through the back door and onto the stand.

6 was not enough.
Of all the pictures I took there’s none on the cart lol.. you can see it off to the right in this picture. Suction cups sitting on the end of it with the red foam.
IMG_9171.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the pictures I took there’s none on the cart lol.. you can see it off to the right in this picture. Suction cups sitting on the end of it with the red foam.
IMG_9171.jpeg
I've helped move a reefer 900 with a cart that had rollers top and caster wheels bottom, plus a hydraulic foot pedal which lifted or lowered the tank..

THAT is the way to do it.

Last edited:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 6'2 and even at 31" deep it was a PITA...

As for size, I'd go as big as your comfortable with.

My last tank was a 460 with a 200 gallon sump, never did I find myself saying "I wish my tank was smaller".

It's more upfront cost with equipment (tank really shouldn't be too much more), but you can house pretty much any livestock you want and have much more stable water parameters.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the replys.. there are so many pros and cons its hard... I can truly go either way but i think the longer tank is going to be more stunning view wise the way my basement is setup.. its also wayyy easier to do the canopy off the wall vs the ceiling the way my hvac is setup above.. I will only have access from the front if i go long ways. This is why I want to stay 30" wide or less and 26" tall max.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm 6'2 and even at 31" deep it was a PITA...

As for size, I'd go as big as your comfortable with.

My last tank was a 460 with a 200 gallon sump, never did I find myself saying "I wish my tank was smaller".

It's more upfront cost with equipment (tank really shouldn't be too much more), but you can house pretty much any livestock you want and have much more stable water parameters.
Not to concerned with costs i just want it to be a good long term and a good fit for me

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to concerned with costs i just want it to be a good long term and a good fit for me

Some people do have that as a concern.

If that's not a factor, just get what fits the space best then...

On the wall we wanted to put the tank on, we literally had inches between the indentation cutout where the tank went in. Ended up being right at 10 feet. Looked like it was meant to be there.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I e placed a deposit with Derek at miracles to get in line and need to have my dimensions finalized by Monday…. I’m reallllly considering changing from a peninsula to a 10 ft long tank 28-30 wide and 26 tall vs the 96x42x26 peninsula. Thoughts? I just think the 10ft front pane will be jaw dropping from the sofa.
miricles makes a well made strong tank, and Deric is a pleasure to deal with. i have a 120 24" tall on there steel stand 34", with 5" euro bracing its difficult doing maintenance at 64 yrs old. i think a little shorter would of been better. just something to think about cause i didnt when i ordered it, but very happy with the quality.

pennied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go big, go acrylic. And even be able to move it yourself.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
miricles makes a well made strong tank, and Deric is a pleasure to deal with. i have a 120 24" tall on there steel stand 34", with 5" euro bracing its difficult doing maintenance at 64 yrs old. i think a little shorter would of been better. just something to think about cause i didnt when i ordered it, but very happy with the quality.
Is it 120” long ? 24” tall isn’t out of the question I was thinking about that as well just afraid it will look odd being so long and 24” tall

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some people do have that as a concern.

If that's not a factor, just get what fits the space best then...

On the wall we wanted to put the tank on, we literally had inches between the indentation cutout where the tank went in. Ended up being right at 10 feet. Looked like it was meant to be there.

So how wide is that tank and how tall is it ?sure looks great.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it 120” long ? 24” tall isn’t out of the question I was thinking about that as well just afraid it will look odd being so long and 24” tall
48x24x24 its not like the rim goes into your armpit. with the 5" euro your arm goes at an angle. i had the same size tank before without euro and on a 30" stand. i could reach the sand no problem. between the 34 stand and euro i need a step and im 5'9"

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is 120x48x30. The 10' span is impressive. It makes taking FTS photos pretty much impossible. The size and grandeur of the aquarium is really hard to capture. If you have the room go deeper front to back. My prior tank was 96x33 and I liked that depth (limited by size of the room opening). Going from 33" to 48" gives the tank a 3d that can only be enjoyed in person. Kids walk up to the tank and are just amazed how far back the fish go. We just got wet in Sept and started from scratch with corals. The back wall of our tank is covered in slab rock, and there is space between the back wall and the aquascaping. Makes for great flow, fish love it, and as the corals are starting to grow we are really getting a great depth perception to the tank.

Tank is a bit dirty because we are putting new flooring in the tank room this week. But check out the tank on our Webcam. You will get only a bit of a feel of the depth of the aquarium.

webcam is o2manyfish.com

Dave B
how bad is the evaporation? what are you controling it with ?

im torn between 120x36x26 486 gallon and 108x36x26 438 gallon and responsible me keeps telling me to do 100x36x26 hahaha

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how bad is the evaporation? what are you controling it with ?

im torn between 120x36x26 486 gallon and 108x36x26 438 gallon and responsible me keeps telling me to do 100x36x26 hahaha
Our evaporations is huge - Our total system volume is 1500g and other than the display tank the remaining 750g is all outside. We use evaporative cooling to keep the system cool in up t 105deg weather - over 105 we have a sunshade that covers the (2) 180g frag tanks.

On a rainy day we evaporate out 15g+ . On a 115deg day we will evaporate as much as 70g. We have a 4k Gpd commercial RO system and a huge DI tank. The topoff runs for a limited number of hours 2x a day and 1/2 the flow is directed thru an Avast custom Kalk Mixer and the other 1/2 feeds directly into the system. If pH is over 8.3 then the Kalk Mixer is automatically bypassed using a 3way valve.

As for the tank size. You'd be hard pressed to find a big tank guy, with a happy marriage, who says "I wish I had gone smaller". If you have the space, and can afford the toy - then go for it. The difference of 100g between the 3 sizes you mention is really inconsequential. It going to be the same equipment give or take the lighting you choose. But pumps, flow, skimmer, plumbing -- all those costs are the same. And either way to really pack it with life is several house payments - so why skimp on the tank size if you aren't being limite by space issues.

Dave B

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What’s up all I have been lurking a while now and have had several reef aquariums over the last decade. From 10 to 250 gallons. Im about to do my basement and have been contemplating the following tanks.

48x84x24
48x96x24
44x72x24
All peninsula style

I am between miracles and custom aquariums for the build I have 8 xr30 g6 blues I scored at a KILLER deal new in box

I’m just concerned with the demands and if I will fail I have a 75 now with a fishroom sump in the basement that’s 8x12 and 65 gallon salt with 110 gallon ro mix stations. I am versed in plumbing and fish rooms and always have been. This will be my forever home for the next decade. So I feel like it’s time.

the tank will back up to the fishroom and the sump and qt systems will be inside there.
I am looking at Luna bash sea and advanced acrylics for the sump build. With it being roughly 72x20x18 with two vectras on 1” returns and a closed loop vectors blowing from the front back to the overflow to minimize power heads.

wht are some other members experiences before I take the plunge? What’s too big and what’s the sweet spot ? I am leaning towards the 48x72x24

I have planned a 100 cfm air exchanger for humidity in the fishroom area and a standard dehumidifier on the wall draining into sink
we are laying the basement out in solid works and I can post drawings soon for review

thanks !
glenn in Chicago
GO BIG . You love the hobby already it seems so why not commit to it . 400g can you imagine ?

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GO BIG . You love the hobby already it seems so why not commit to it . 400g can you imagine ?
i've had a 250 deep dimension before and it wasn't that bad.... but this is alottttt larger... i already have 8 radion xr30 g6 blue sitting here i got for a steal so lighting should be good to go...

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i've had a 250 deep dimension before and it wasn't that bad.... but this is alottttt larger... i already have 8 radion xr30 g6 blue sitting here i got for a steal so lighting should be good to go...
8? OK lol u more than ready’

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back