I want to try a clam

  • Thread starter Thread starter Manose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Make sure you don't keep the clam out of water too long and have bubbles trapped in the body
There is no issue taking clams out of water and trapped bubbles is another myth. Clams are completely exposed during low tide, which means the weather could be pouring rain, high temps, etc.. Clams can expel any trapped air on their own.
 
There is no issue taking clams out of water and trapped bubbles is another myth. Clams are completely exposed during low tide, which means the weather could be pouring rain, high temps, etc.. Clams can expel any trapped air on their own.
I'm pretty sure there is a disease associated with bubble being trapped..it irritates them and can kill them
 
I'm pretty sure there is a disease associated with bubble being trapped..it irritates them and can kill them
There's something called gas-bubble disease, but it's from the formation of dissolved gases that build up in the clam's tissue. For this to happen in our tanks, the temp would have to change drastically (from cold to hot/warm) or if there was a pressure change in depth, etc. It's not caused by having an air bubble inside the clam's body being trapped, which is easily removed by the clam itself by expelling it. As I mentioned before, clams are completely exposed to air during low tide and not all clams can close their shells (air-tight) to trap in water. Burping was a thing a long time ago, but much like the size myth, (needing to feed clams of a certain size) it's another myth.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new