I will save my reef.

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hurts to admit but, among many other areas of my life, I’ve been neglecting my reef. All that’s left of my reef is a handful of fish, my kenya tree, and a hammer that refuses to die. The glass is coated in algae, the water is foggy, and I have a combination GHA and Cyano outbreak competing with one another. It’s really bad and I’m not going to underestimate this reconstruction project; it’s my responsibility to fix it and save my surviving animals. I’m hoping that some of you have been through my situation and can provide me with some knowledge I can use.

My current plan of attack:

My highest priority is to remove any decaying matter and pull out as much nuisance algae as I can by hand. Then I’ll take anything I consider “at risk” and surrender it to my LFS. This will include my more sensitive inverts like my anemones. My fish aren’t displaying signs of stress or disease so I’ll likely keep them in the display. I’m not too worried about my hammer and kenya either.

I also regret to admit that I don’t know any of my current parameters, though I suspect they are all situated really poorly. Im going to get them tested on my day off tomorrow so I know what im up against.

Once I’ve done that, I will begin doing daily 50% water changes until my parameters are both stable and pristine. I’ll then return to my weekly schedule of 25% WC which I haven’t been doing consistently for a few months now.

My goal is to eventually be able to add new livestock again with the comfort of knowing they’re in a good environment. It’s going to be a long (and likely expensive) road but I owe it to my animals to see it through. You’re welcome to leave whatever opinion you have but I’ll openly state now: I do not care what opinion anyone has from the information I’ve written. I’m not here to be cheered on or torn into, all that I care about is saving my reef and, regardless of whether or not I succeed, I’m sure to leave behind a thread that may someday save someone else’s.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id suggest not getting rid of any livestock (it has survived the worst already) start with fresh filter media. Carbon, gfo and the like.
If it took a while to get to that state, take a while to bring it back. Slow and steady. 50% water change is harsh. I would do a set of 30% changes every other day or so.
Tackle the physical algae and do whatever manual cleanup of course.
Ive been there. The tortoise beats the hare

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you for the getting your aquarium back into shape!

One of the the things that will really help you stick with your plan is understanding why things got the way they are ( e.g., Work, Covid isolation, crazy world?). Identifying the cause really helps selecting the right solution. Good luck and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hurts to admit but, among many other areas of my life, I’ve been neglecting my reef. All that’s left of my reef is a handful of fish, my kenya tree, and a hammer that refuses to die. The glass is coated in algae, the water is foggy, and I have a combination GHA and Cyano outbreak competing with one another. It’s really bad and I’m not going to underestimate this reconstruction project; it’s my responsibility to fix it and save my surviving animals. I’m hoping that some of you have been through my situation and can provide me with some knowledge I can use.

My current plan of attack:

My highest priority is to remove any decaying matter and pull out as much nuisance algae as I can by hand. Then I’ll take anything I consider “at risk” and surrender it to my LFS. This will include my more sensitive inverts like my anemones. My fish aren’t displaying signs of stress or disease so I’ll likely keep them in the display. I’m not too worried about my hammer and kenya either.

I also regret to admit that I don’t know any of my current parameters, though I suspect they are all situated really poorly. Im going to get them tested on my day off tomorrow so I know what im up against.

Once I’ve done that, I will begin doing daily 50% water changes until my parameters are both stable and pristine. I’ll then return to my weekly schedule of 25% WC which I haven’t been doing consistently for a few months now.

My goal is to eventually be able to add new livestock again with the comfort of knowing they’re in a good environment. It’s going to be a long (and likely expensive) road but I owe it to my animals to see it through. You’re welcome to leave whatever opinion you have but I’ll openly state now: I do not care what opinion anyone has from the information I’ve written. I’m not here to be cheered on or torn into, all that I care about is saving my reef and, regardless of whether or not I succeed, I’m sure to leave behind a thread that may someday save someone else’s.
Invest in a UV sterilizer. It’ll do wonders for the algea issue

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with basic water changes and substrate vacuuming. That may eliminate many of your problems without requiring more substantial measures.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back