Ice Cap Gyre OR Ecotech MP40 Powerhead or Combo

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is through the Hydros app, right? My guess would be that the ice cap controllers need a firmware update or something? Having the wave engine removes that headache and the power bricks. It's just a matter of expense vs convenience.
Yea, I should have not bought the cheap brand!

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, but if you go to their page/thread here on R2R in the sponsor section, suggest it. They are really open to things like this and they're pretty receptive to new ideas and making things better.
Also, let me know what you want to do (programming wise) and I'll help. I'm not sure how the app works with the ice cap controllers, so there may be some difference between the app w/ice cap and the wave engine?
Man, thank you...I will do that this weekend

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, I should have not bought the cheap brand!
It all depends on individual budgets, but you're not alone. I bought jebao's for my 22g initially, but soon realized I should've bought Tunze 6040's instead (which I did and still have them). For me, the wave engine made perfect sense. I already had a controller for the tank (apex) but there wasn't a way to connect the gyres directly to my apex and I would need to buy the wxm module to control the vortechs, but that still left me without being able to control the gyres, other than shutting them off during feeding or manually pushing the feed mode on their controller. Now I just put my return pump in feed mode, push a button on my toggle box and everything goes to feed mode. The wave engine really opened a lot of doors for me and now I just need to sell my vectra and buy a COR20, then it gets easier.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on individual budgets, but you're not alone. I bought jebao's for my 22g initially, but soon realized I should've bought Tunze 6040's instead (which I did and still have them). For me, the wave engine made perfect sense. I already had a controller for the tank (apex) but there wasn't a way to connect the gyres directly to my apex and I would need to buy the wxm module to control the vortechs, but that still left me without being able to control the gyres, other than shutting them off during feeding or manually pushing the feed mode on their controller. Now I just put my return pump in feed mode, push a button on my toggle box and everything goes to feed mode. The wave engine really opened a lot of doors for me and now I just need to sell my vectra and buy a COR20, then it gets easier.
When I feed 3 times a day, I have to manually connect to bluetooth for each Icecap, manually set the flow down to min. for each of the 4 gyres. After feeding I have to do the whole process again to get them at 100%, then again when I want them on auto.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I feed 3 times a day, I have to manually connect to bluetooth for each Icecap, manually set the flow down to min. for each of the 4 gyres. After feeding I have to do the whole process again to get them at 100%, then again when I want them on auto.
Ooof, I feel your pain. I know once I get the new return pump, then it's just a push of a button. Save your pennies and get the wave engine and they'll all play nice. Plus, you dump all the power bricks and connect them directly to the WE with the direct drive cables.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back