Icecap 1k gyre pump

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody try the 1k, 2k, or 3k yet? I was thinking of getting one for my 33 long but heard they are annoyingly loud. Not sure which one would be best for a 48 inch long tank either. Feedback welcome. Thanks.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no 2k. For your tank I'd reccomend the 3k. There only loud if you don't clean them. Ours has been running over a year.
Good jab DSC. I clean mine monthly. Check around the internet to see what the consensus is.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good jab DSC. I clean mine monthly. Check around the internet to see what the consensus is.
I don't need a jab or a consensus, I own one. The 3k gets noisy, I clean it and it's silent. How long have you owned yours? No one was rude with you, happy reefing;)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice after a month and it starts getting dirty it will trap air in the impellers. If I don't clean it regularly it can get annoying. Other than that I have no complaints. I love the water movement.

OP
OP
Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with 1k you might need 2. If it fits the 3k can be turned down so that's an option. They are powerful!
Ill have to measure the front to back in my 33 long and see if there is any wiggle room. Its only twelve front to back, but even a 16th of an inch would be enough to squeeze one in.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're gonna add another 3k to the reef tank. Since theres a corner overflow I'm going to mount it vertically while the other is horizontal. We wanted the 2k but once we found out it had half the power at 1k at almost the same price we decided to just run another 3k at lower speeds.

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 68g BB.. i have an 3k vertical in the back right corner to keep the back absolutely clear of detrietus.. i also programmed it to run 1hr of constant, then 1hr of pulsing.. etc.. throughout the day..

i also have a maxspect on the right side in horizontal.. its being replaced by a 1k.. i absolutely love that you can program flow modes.. so when i get the 1k.. ill run it constant mode while the 3k is pulsing.. and vice versa.. cant do that with the old gyres..

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quiet/loud is an opinion. I just put by 3k in yesterday, I would call it loud, but only because everything else in my system is totally silent. I have a 75 and was told it couldn't be silent. It is silent. With that in mind, I hear a whine when it is going through it cycles. If it was a consistent hum it wouldn't be so bad. It is more of a inconsistent whine and then it stops, then you hear it, then you don't, then you wonder what that noise is, then you realize, then you are annoyed for a while, then you forget about it, then you start wondering if you hear something again, then realize what it is and . . . . . . . I never expect this to have any noise at all. Heck, I didn't even research it. Now not sure what to do. Not sure if LFS will take it back. I am looking for totally silent. If a little noise from a pump or water falling doesn't bother you, this won't bother you. If you want silent, you will be disappointed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back