IceCap 2k Gyre vs. Red Sea ReefWave

Ecotech Marine
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
yup, I agree. CoralVue provides excellent service and replacements are quick too as I had some auto aqua equipment go bad and replacement came very quick! I should check my firmware version though as it is strange because I set the max flow to be no more then 30% and it goes to 45 - 50%... sounds to be a software issue.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

MJV15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
yup, I agree. CoralVue provides excellent service and replacements are quick too as I had some auto aqua equipment go bad and replacement came very quick! I should check my firmware version though as it is strange because I set the max flow to be no more then 30% and it goes to 45 - 50%... sounds to be a software issue.
So this confused me too at first. But if you set the pump it’s self to only go up to 65% you can have the pump wave mode (Presets- day- night) go from 0-100 but that 100 will be 65%. So 45-50 is really 45-50% of what ever the max power level that the pump is restricted too.
2ED3DE63-4A3F-486B-B835-7EBE8407F7B1.jpeg
FC9C8D78-5A57-4C1C-9031-D9C8AF47AB63.jpeg

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
I was planning on installing a gyre type wave maker in my Red Sea Max 250. Originally I was going to give the new reef wave a try, but seen a bad review regarding the need to do a firmware upgrade on the device before it even worked. Apparently took this individual half day to get it to work. But I like the controller on the reef wave way more then the Ice Cap. Just curious if anyone had issues with the new red sea reef wave - or if they are happy and/or dissatisfied with IceCap. The one complaint I see with the IceCap is no possible way to turn off on the controller (i.e. for feeding)... so need to do this from the phone on the IceCap.

Thanks!
The only pain was connecting it to WiFi if you have a fancy router with QoS. Then getting the firmware to update. Once you get past that it's a great gyre! I've been using it for two months and it's silent and powerful. Reefbeat app could be better but is sufficient. Physical controller is nice too. I just wish the reverse flow was equally as strong as forward flow.

But you got the icecap for cheaper. Hopefully that is good. Curious how the reverse flow strength is on the ice cap.

MJV15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The only pain was connecting it to WiFi if you have a fancy router with QoS. Then getting the firmware to update. Once you get past that it's a great gyre! I've been using it for two months and it's silent and powerful. Reefbeat app could be better but is sufficient. Physical controller is nice too. I just wish the reverse flow was equally as strong as forward flow.

But you got the icecap for cheaper. Hopefully that is good. Curious how the reverse flow strength is on the ice cap.
The reverse flow is pretty good, not as strong as forward flow but it’s more diffuse so that’s probably why. I have a single 2k gyre on my 90 gallon peninsula tank and it’s restricted to only 65% flow which is still boarding on too strong for some of my LPS in the tank. The reverse flow will reach about half the length of the tank, so it doesn’t really create a full reverse gyre effect. But it does break up dead spots quite nicely. My complaint is that reverse flow is noisy compared to forward flow which is dead silent.

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You can set the IceCaps to shut off (or nearly off, if you like) automatically at feeding time. Only problem I have with mine (I have two of the 4k’s) is one of them is blowing microbubbles, which is apparently a problem others sometimes report as well. Don’t think they’ve fixed this issue and it’s a mystery to me.

Lazys Coral House

What are you most excited to read about in our REEF OF THE MONTH articles?

• I love reading about reef equipment!

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • For me, it's all about the CORALS!!

Votes: 26 10.3%
  • Seeing and reading about cool fish that I wish I could keep!

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Looking for neat innovations and creative solutions they're using!

Votes: 49 19.4%
  • Looking mostly for stuff I can try on my tank!

Votes: 22 8.7%
  • Are you kidding?? I'm excited about ALL OF IT!!

Votes: 134 53.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
QT FISH