IceCap 2k Gyre vs. Red Sea ReefWave

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on installing a gyre type wave maker in my Red Sea Max 250. Originally I was going to give the new reef wave a try, but seen a bad review regarding the need to do a firmware upgrade on the device before it even worked. Apparently took this individual half day to get it to work. But I like the controller on the reef wave way more then the Ice Cap. Just curious if anyone had issues with the new red sea reef wave - or if they are happy and/or dissatisfied with IceCap. The one complaint I see with the IceCap is no possible way to turn off on the controller (i.e. for feeding)... so need to do this from the phone on the IceCap.

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sean, I was so excited to get an e-mail that someone actually responded :). anyway, I just purchased the IceCap 2k for my Red Sea max 250. I felt that it is more of a proven pump and seems as it go a lot of great reviews ... plus it is a bit cheaper then the new reef wave. To be honest, the only negative that I saw with the IceCap is the inability to have a single button to hit to stop pump when feeding... I guess I will just need to live with having to turn off pump using app. BTW, not sure if you're looking to add multiple pumps, but the reef wave apparently does not allow so you actually need to purchase an entire pump / controller - that was a huge negative I saw with reef wave. I will post again when I have it configured as I just received the other day and didn't get a chance to install.

Attila

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that is good information. I actually bought a first gen Maxspect years ago and it was the noisiest most pain in the butt pump I ever had. Constantly needed to take it out and fiddle with it for it to work properly, and then the bearings wore out and Maxspect had changed the design so many times they couldn't even send me the right part. They just sent a handful of random parts, none of which worked on my pump, and then stopped responding to my emails. Then I decided to buy a Jebao CP-120 (thinking if I was going to suffer through crap it might as well be cheap crap) - and I was surprised at how well it works. I even bout their T1 wifi controller and am super happy with it, but I want to add a second one and the controller only runs one pump as well. (and when you buy the pump and the controller it is as expensive as the name brand stuff). It is also knock off equipment that isnt UL listed and sparks when you plug it in...and both it and the old maxspect were a pain to disassemble and clean (needle nose pliers and strong memory of which side is which required, plus some fidgeting, taking it out, fidgeting, some more, trying again). Red sea claims they made maintenance easier, but I don't need $800 worth of first gen gyre pumps.

Let me know how you like the ice caps, and how easy they come part (and are the marked/color coded, right/left) ??

Concept wise and function wise, I will still never go back to regular pumps. Gyre flow is significantly better and there are no dead spots unless you have caves.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had some time last night to install the IceCap 2k pump. I will just say that I did have some issues with the setup and continued to get errors, even though I was connected to my 2.4g WiFi - as the controller does not support 5g. After fiddling with it and being so dang frustrated thinking yet another piece of junk equipment, I ended up rebooting my home router and reset the app on the phone, deleted the pump from the app and restarted. The second time around it worked as it should! Now that it is all setup and fiddled a bit with the app and functionality, so far I really like it... way easier then the maxspect gyre! I do recommend no doubt and hopefully it will last at least 12 months as it seems I have been having the worse luck in this hobby with equipment :)

I do want to comment on your frustration with the maxspect gyres; I have the second generation and to b honest it is the same as what you're describing. I paid so much for the dual unit on my 210 gal and I have to continue removing the pumps to fix. It is getting very annoying and for the money these things cost it should be way more reliable and not to mention the maintenance is very difficult on them...

Attila

dnorris920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the noise level on the icecap 2k? I am looking at getting a duel set up, still debating on the 2k or 4k and putting on at each end of my RS 350. Currently running the loop pumps so anything is an upgrade. I keep getting conflicting information, some places say 1 pump is enough, others say I need 2 pumps. RS says I need two of their small ones but I am guessing they just want me to spend more money =)

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, now that I have them setup for a few days I can say that I made the right choice. To answer your question, you can't even hear a thing - so quiet and very strong. Actually trying to set it up so it is a range between 10 - 30 %, and for some reason it is running at 40 to 45 % so will need to open a ticket with Coral Vue. My guess that is probably fixable via a firmware upgrade. In addition, I really like the app and setup is WAY more easier then the maxspect gyre's I have on my 210 gal.

My recommendation would be to get the 4k pumps - probably not much more money and you have the flexibility to control the flow so why not get the bigger ones. I am only running this one at 30 % max is because I feel that my LPS and softies are getting too much flow! if I was running SPS I would probably still be running the single pump but higher flow.

Hope this helps.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, now that I have them setup for a few days I can say that I made the right choice. To answer your question, you can't even hear a thing - so quiet and very strong. Actually trying to set it up so it is a range between 10 - 30 %, and for some reason it is running at 40 to 45 % so will need to open a ticket with Coral Vue. My guess that is probably fixable via a firmware upgrade. In addition, I really like the app and setup is WAY more easier then the maxspect gyre's I have on my 210 gal.

My recommendation would be to get the 4k pumps - probably not much more money and you have the flexibility to control the flow so why not get the bigger ones. I am only running this one at 30 % max is because I feel that my LPS and softies are getting too much flow! if I was running SPS I would probably still be running the single pump but higher flow.

Hope this helps.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooked up two25s the other day and moved my icecap to my salt mixing bin. I have mine on the redsea250. Fits and flows great. Alot quieter

20200516_222108.jpg

dnorris920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooked up two25s the other day and moved my icecap to my salt mixing bin. I have mine on the redsea250. Fits and flows great. Alot quieter

20200516_222108.jpg
Nice set up! My LFS stated I would only need 1 of the 25's, but RedSea is showing 2 are needed. Do you need the two for yours? I am tossed, spend tons of money get in trouble with the wife, or spend a lot of money and get out of trouble quicker.. haha. No matter what I do I am screwed so going to do it.

I keep hearing the RS are so much quieter, but I love the price point of the icecap.

dnorris920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope this helps.
Thank you! I will go with the 4k's or the RS25's now just to pick which one I should go.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! My LFS stated I would only need 1 of the 25's, but RedSea is showing 2 are needed. Do you need the two for yours? I am tossed, spend tons of money get in trouble with the wife, or spend a lot of money and get out of trouble quicker.. haha. No matter what I do I am screwed so going to do it.

I keep hearing the RS are so much quieter, but I love the price point of the icecap.
I ran one Icecap 3K on the side of the tank. Had problems with flow in the back near overflow box. Get two of you can.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally had some time last night to install the IceCap 2k pump. I will just say that I did have some issues with the setup and continued to get errors, even though I was connected to my 2.4g WiFi - as the controller does not support 5g. After fiddling with it and being so dang frustrated thinking yet another piece of junk equipment, I ended up rebooting my home router and reset the app on the phone, deleted the pump from the app and restarted. The second time around it worked as it should! Now that it is all setup and fiddled a bit with the app and functionality, so far I really like it... way easier then the maxspect gyre! I do recommend no doubt and hopefully it will last at least 12 months as it seems I have been having the worse luck in this hobby with equipment :)

I do want to comment on your frustration with the maxspect gyres; I have the second generation and to b honest it is the same as what you're describing. I paid so much for the dual unit on my 210 gal and I have to continue removing the pumps to fix. It is getting very annoying and for the money these things cost it should be way more reliable and not to mention the maintenance is very difficult on them...

Attila

I’ve been thinking about going with the IceCap Gyre’s - is there a way of setting them to be off or at a very low speed for a given time period? I use Nero 5’s now and the lowest the flow will go is roughly 30%

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to try the Red Sea but I can’t justify the cost for a 40 breeder FOWLR. I might get one anyway. Idk. That controller is super sweet.

I bought an AI Nero instead. If it was between ice Capp and Red Sea is go Red Sea bc of the controller

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d love to try the Red Sea but I can’t justify the cost for a 40 breeder FOWLR. I might get one anyway. Idk. That controller is super sweet.

I bought an AI Nero instead. If it was between ice Capp and Red Sea is go Red Sea bc of the controller

I went with the IceCap 2K. I looked at the Red Sea but you can only control one pump with the controller - which I thought was a really poor design - all the Gyre’s on the market allow you to control 1 or 2 at a time. The IceCap also has the port to hook it up directly to you Apex if you are using one. The Nero’s are nice and VERY easy to clean.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

well, I got the icecap 2k for a 65 gal RSM. So, there is nothing wrong with getting a pump like that for a smaller tank. :). I am still loving it and not a big deal with just turning off using app when feeding. I actually like it much better then the max spect gyres. I can't stand the controller setting and difficult to use!

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the IceCap 2K. I looked at the Red Sea but you can only control one pump with the controller - which I thought was a really poor design - all the Gyre’s on the market allow you to control 1 or 2 at a time. The IceCap also has the port to hook it up directly to you Apex if you are using one. The Nero’s are nice and VERY easy to clean.

Really? Only one at a time??? Even the wifi controls only one at a time? I chose or would choose the read sea because I don’t want to rely on the wifi for all my controlling. What if I loose or break my phone? Having both is king. But that’s really disappointing about the red sea

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control two off the app. I installed two of then last week. Very quiet pumps.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Only one at a time??? Even the wifi controls only one at a time? I chose or would choose the read sea because I don’t want to rely on the wifi for all my controlling. What if I loose or break my phone? Having both is king. But that’s really disappointing about the red sea
hmm.. to be honest, I don't mind using the phone or iPad to control tank. I have man apex so need to rely on phone, etc.

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 2k when it was fresh and would randomly lose connection to my cloud, it wasn’t anything concerning to me and fixed by unplugging and plugging back in. I am not always home for days at a time so I decided to put in a ticket just asking a question as to if this is normal. Within an hour of putting in a ticket, during the hours that they normally aren’t working, I got a response back to which Carlos looked into the firmware linked to my hydros account and saw it was out of date and reset it for me with no trouble on my end. That right there will have me buying from them again. Top notch service! Great pump and I haven’t cleaned mine yet and still is quiet unless it’s in reverse mode ( which turn a pump backwards and you should hear a bit of a different noise, quieter then my original mp10)

Back