ICECAP-APEX help.

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

this is the last piece to the puzzle and i can't crack it.

I have 2 icecap units. 2 maxspect gyres. linked to my apex. They both work. They both Run.

However, One gyre is controlled and follows the set program. The other Gyre just does what it wants and keeps the same speed. The apex doesn't control it. I have confirmed with Apex that var1/var2 are both running the alternating profiles. I press play and one goes through the steps and the other doesnt.

Have i cabled it up wrong? any help would really be appreciated.

Icecap
icecap.jpg

Apex

apex.jpg

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i noticed something. If i leave it alone for about an hour it will stop working and one of the units will slow red flash. if i unplug it and start it up again it will work but wont be controlled by the apex

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i run the var1 program is pulses the bottom icecap
if i run the var 2 program is pulses the bottom icecap

neither of the program pulse the top one which is where it turns off. so i guess there is something wrong with the program.

I copied var 1 and var 2 profiles to var 3 and var4 and changed the cable over to that. Same result. But here is the strange part. it doesn't matter the port (var1/2 or var 3/4) it is in.

i can run any var 1 2 3 4 and it will just move 1 gyre in that motion no matter the var port. which is very strange. I think it's an apex thing since if I have them just plugged into their respective controllers they work.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have two and one works and the other doesn’t, have you tried to switch the connections to the apex? If you switch the connections and the one that wasn’t working starts working and the one that was working stops working then it is either an apex programming issue or a cable issue. If they don’t switch then it’s an issue with the icecap device.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, what Brett said. Switch the 3.5mm plug that goes into the Gyre controllers and see if the problem moves to the other or stays with the same one.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I swapped the cable over. Still the same. Left one is constant. Right one will pulse when i hit play on the profile.

but if I click any varspeed profile it pulses the right one.

i really don't know why it's not working? if i disconnect it from the apex they run fine.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just got a response from coralvue

'Your gems need to be reflashed or replaced.'

no idea what that means lol

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy called Nick said send the Modules and gave me an address in CA. He said that reflashing should fix this problem. I messed with the cables and got the same response. Neptune looked at the apex and said the profiles and stuff was assigned.

i checked the cables and they were fine.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got them back today. With new boards. however we still got the red flashing its only on the left one. i did send them the maxspects and the icecaps. any suggestions would be helpful.

the apex does communicate with it. as i can turn the varspeed on and off which shuts off the pumps. not sure if it follows theprogram thou

Attachments

• Video.mov
    1.4 MB
OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

1) Swapped Icecaps to var3/4 on Apex - Bottom Red light flashing
2) Swapped Icecaps to var1/2 on Apex -Bottom Red Light Flashing
2) Swapped Radio cable between icecaps Bottom Red Light Flashing.
3) Cutting power from button one and plugging back in allows the gyre to work at FULL power for about 30 mins before stopping. Afterward, Bottom Icecap flashes Red.
4) Apex can turn both the gyres off toggling the VAR speed off slider

kinda at a loss now how to get it working

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you let them know it's doing the same now that you got it back? What if you don't have it connected to Apex and program it from the app?

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i did a reset.

So, The gims actually went solid green. So ready for the weird bit.

The left one is running at full power. Apex can turn it on and off easily.

Right one is responsive to Apex programming.

if you preview the BRS wave in the apex on the left. It operates the right one. If you preview it on the right one it works on the right one.

the left one just either turns off or on. there is no inbetween or control.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use that interface, but it was a while ago, so my memory is a little foggy. But as I recall there are two cable options. One splits into a Y and allows you to control the speed of two separate gyres, but they will always go in the same direction. The other only connects to one gyre, but allows you to use va1 and 2 to control both the speed and the direction of the gyre.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently a Y split cable into the apex. but have control problems listed above

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me...
I had created profiles and virtual outlets to work in alternating gyre mode using the Y cable.. only to realize the Y cable is not the correct cable and you need to purchase the other cable.

that resolved the issue for about 6-7months then when I decided to change the gyre patterns and add some mp40s to the mix.. Red light flashed again around 330pm every day..

looked at the coding and saw I had an overlap of profiles from my original setup before adding the mp40s.

after deleting the extra profiles and rewriting some of the code the issue disappeared. I have since sold the gyres.. bought more mp40s only to realize I miss the gyres and just ordered another set lmaoooo..

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me...
I had created profiles and virtual outlets to work in alternating gyre mode using the Y cable.. only to realize the Y cable is not the correct cable and you need to purchase the other cable.
both cables are actually the right ones. the y cable only allows forward direction on two gyres. if you use the single stereo cable you will need two, but the stereo cable allows both forward and revers directions on the gyres.

you do need to create a bunch of profiles and virtual outlets to get them to work right.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - i think it maybe the motor of the left Gyrre.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back