IceCap Gyre 4k Pumps

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, purchased a couple IceCap Gyre 4k's on black Friday weekend. These pumps are great! I can't believe there isn't more discussion about them online, other than negative comments about the original App. I installed two on a Red Sea Reefer 450. The pumps move plenty of water in a 5 foot tank on alternating sine wave mode. The app took a while to figure out, but not because it's flawed - only becuase I didn't understand how to get the pumps going. It's necessary to setup triggers, presets and modes. The pumps at 100% are dead silent - only the sound of moving water. In my Reefer 450 there is constant moving water from end to end and smooth movement across the bottom. It would be great if other users shared their preset schedules.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4k and 2k alternating in my 75g... great pumps so far.

They can get a little noisy when it's time to clean them. Regular scheduled cleaning is best. They may keep going dirty, but they seem to push less water.

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 a few months ago. I love then. Push water and only need cleaning every month.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, i hate that you have to use an Apex or some other controller to independently control them.
There is no real reason they cant enable it within the software other than they want to force you to buy the WaveEngine or Hydros Control. The fact that if one pump is at 100%, both are at 100% is a stupid limitation.

I have 2x 2k in a 55G. I'm in the process of setting up a ReefPi to try to get around this limitation.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran Icecap gyres for several years. I will not buy them again.

The bushings are inadequate. They only have 2 contact points and the rubber wears out in a short time. Once the rubber is gone, the remaining plastic parts wear each other out. The drive bushing gets flat spots and the impeller gets wallered out. Then you have to replace the drive bushing, rubber, and impeller. It's happened mulitple times to all my icecap gyres. I can't be the only one having the problem because they were sold out of bushings every time I checked for ~6 months. They do have some in stock today, but are limited to purchasing five.

I like the controller, but until they improve the bushing to impeller interface they are garbage.

PXL_20201228_043038039.jpg

PXL_20201228_042555440.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back