Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer not working?

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just setup my first ever saltwater tank, it’s a 13.5 fluval evo AIO. I set it up yesterday and today I got an Icecap k1 nano skimmer and I’m having some issues. The plug works (the light turns on and is green) but the pump doesn’t seem to work? It gets hot but there’s no bubbles being produced or anything. I’ve even tried running the pump disconnected from everything else and I can’t find any evidence of flow. I’ve never used a skimmer before so there could be something I’ve screwed up or a simple fix it missing but I’m not sure. The portion where air draws in may be weird, there’s cutouts for holes but it’s not drilled all the way through so it’s more like circular indents? There’s one true hole on the underside of it. I don’t know if this is normal? I can’t really twist anything. Any advice would be great.

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s photos of the pump. The back gets really hot when plugged in, the white piece I can easily move with my finger but doesn’t move on it’s own. There is no clog anywhere and there’s no flow coming from the pump

Attachments

• C3D4ACBA-4DD4-466E-B870-5CC7E03F3E22.jpeg
    C3D4ACBA-4DD4-466E-B870-5CC7E03F3E22.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 4E67179B-A39F-4E61-AA5F-8D5F74878B08.jpeg
    4E67179B-A39F-4E61-AA5F-8D5F74878B08.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 351E9B5E-3FD4-4640-8EEE-69DB378F0228.jpeg
    351E9B5E-3FD4-4640-8EEE-69DB378F0228.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 80

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just setup my first ever saltwater tank, it’s a 13.5 fluval evo AIO. I set it up yesterday and today I got an Icecap k1 nano skimmer and I’m having some issues. The plug works (the light turns on and is green) but the pump doesn’t seem to work? It gets hot but there’s no bubbles being produced or anything. I’ve even tried running the pump disconnected from everything else and I can’t find any evidence of flow. I’ve never used a skimmer before so there could be something I’ve screwed up or a simple fix it missing but I’m not sure. The portion where air draws in may be weird, there’s cutouts for holes but it’s not drilled all the way through so it’s more like circular indents? There’s one true hole on the underside of it. I don’t know if this is normal? I can’t really twist anything. Any advice would be great.
Did you figure it out? I was about to buy this with all the raving reviews for it.

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t figured it out yet. It’s definitely something with the pump. The impeller is freely moveable when the pump is unplugged but is much harder to move when plugged in and the back side gets really hot. I’ve even tried taking the impeller out several times and no luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s photos of the pump. The back gets really hot when plugged in, the white piece I can easily move with my finger but doesn’t move on it’s own. There is no clog anywhere and there’s no flow coming from the pump
Pull impeller and assure there is no shells, or similar causing it to seize. If still not running, contact IceCap. They have great CS service.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking to get this can you tell me more about it? Thanks!
What's to say. Great little skimmer,easy to take apart to clean and fits into the 2nd chamber of IM AIO Nano tanks(IM Nuvo10,14,20 etc.). Mine fills the cup up every 3 days with some nasty dark skimmate. After it's broken in no micro bubbles in tank.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's to say. Great little skimmer,easy to take apart to clean and fits into the 2nd chamber of IM AIO Nano tanks(IM Nuvo10,14,20 etc.). Mine fills the cup up every 3 days with some nasty dark skimmate. After it's broken in no micro bubbles in tank.
Great thanks! I’m probably gonna order one now! lol

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just over a year later the pump died. Ordered a new pump from Coralvue and had it in my mailbox 2 days later. Back in business just that fast.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to revive an old thread but I also am experiencing this at less than a year into service on the Icecap Nano k1 (after thorough breakdown and cleaning).
Contacted coral view with a video etc, and they just sent me a link to another pump to replace it.
If anyone has a more reliable pump alternative to this one that they are recommending - https://www.coralvue.com/dcair-200-nano-skimmer-pump

At $30 I would be willing to just buy something better if it means not repeating the same issue (assuming there is an alternative)

Back