Ich and flukes at the same time

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend (seriously, not myself) who has ich and flukes in their tank. I advised them on using prazipro for flukes, and cupramine for ich. However, I am not sure of the complications of using both medications at the same time. I would like some insight in how to approach this situation to minimize further fish loss that has already occured. I do not know which species are involved. Thank you.
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the protocol recommends copper followed by prazi, you can dose simultaneously in situations such as your friend's. I would recommend using either Copper Power or CopperSafe rather than cupramine if either is available, only because either of these two is easier to administer and manage when treating multiple parasites. Whichever you chose, accurate, frequent testing of the copper concentration is essential. Also, when water changes are made for the prazi treatment, the copper level needs to be maintained at either .5ppm for cupramine or 2.25 - 2.50 ppm for the CopperSafe or Copper Power. Be sure to use extra aeration when administering prazi.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend (seriously, not myself) who has ich and flukes in their tank. I advised them on using prazipro for flukes, and cupramine for ich. However, I am not sure of the complications of using both medications at the same time. I would like some insight in how to approach this situation to minimize further fish loss that has already occured. I do not know which species are involved. Thank you.
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

Well, I prefer to use Coppersafe or Copper Power instead of cupramine, those are milder.

Prazipro has a solvent that makes up 95% of its volume. That solvent gets degraded by bacteria, which pulls oxygen from the water. That stresses the fish a bit. Good aeration is a must when dosing that, but combined with cupramine, the stress could still be a problem.

So - coppersafe and powdered praziquantel are probably the safest to be dosed together, followed by coppersafe and Prazipro. I still try to avoid dosing both at the same time, copper first because protozoan diseases always kill fish faster than flukes do. Another trick is to give the fish a 5 minute FW dip to knock some flukes off and buy some time for the copper treatment to work.

Finally - misdiagnosis is REALLY common - so the fish might not have both issues.....

Jay

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the protocol recommends copper followed by prazi, you can dose simultaneously in situations such as your friend's. I would recommend using either Copper Power or CopperSafe rather than cupramine if either is available, only because either of these two is easier to administer and manage when treating multiple parasites. Whichever you chose, accurate, frequent testing of the copper concentration is essential. Also, when water changes are made for the prazi treatment, the copper level needs to be maintained at either .5ppm for cupramine or 2.25 - 2.50 ppm for the CopperSafe or Copper Power. Be sure to use extra aeration when administering prazi.

Well, I prefer to use Coppersafe or Copper Power instead of cupramine, those are milder.

Prazipro has a solvent that makes up 95% of its volume. That solvent gets degraded by bacteria, which pulls oxygen from the water. That stresses the fish a bit. Good aeration is a must when dosing that, but combined with cupramine, the stress could still be a problem.

So - coppersafe and powdered praziquantel are probably the safest to be dosed together, followed by coppersafe and Prazipro. I still try to avoid dosing both at the same time, copper first because protozoan diseases always kill fish faster than flukes do. Another trick is to give the fish a 5 minute FW dip to knock some flukes off and buy some time for the copper treatment to work.

Finally - misdiagnosis is REALLY common - so the fish might not have both issues.....

Jay
Thank you! They haven't started medication yet, and I have forwarded them the link to this thread.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
I would use coppersafe or Copper Power in lieu of cupramine for the ich. While you can add Prazi, use dry versus liquid form or, Run coppersafe and add Prazi 2 weeks later or you can add Ruby rally for flukes with the copper product. Coppersafe or Copper Power is applied at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back