Ich in my QT

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap. It's not my week. Melanarus lost Thursday (suspected internal parasites, I'm treating the tank -Prazipro- but it was too late when I noticed) out of my 29g DT. Eel lost today (we think he got backed up) out of my 75g DT. Now I noticed the Foxface I'm quarantining is breathing hard and has Ich. He looks like a lost cause (unless someone has brought one back from not eating and breathing hard...I'm definitely willing to try a Hail Mary), but I have a Bluehead Wrasse and three Purple Fire Fish in there as well. I have Cupramine, or I can try Hypo (I've never done hypo before). Any advice? I'm SO frustrated with one loss in each DT plus the sick Foxface in the QT :(

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn't that the point of a QT? Garlic and ich medication copper. I had good luck with nox ich Good luck.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is the point, but I know several fish are more sensitive to copper than others, so I'm wondering if hypo or Cupramine would be preferred. I also am asking if anyone has thoughts on saving the Foxface.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip the Foxface, that will kill the parasite currently growing on him. Then put him in Hypo. But, there is a point of no return, we can't bring em all back.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the wrasse in there , I'd go hypo. Bring it down over the next 48 hours.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you-I'll start dropping slowly now. Is there a specific pH buffering agent? I've read somewhere that baking soda works, but can't find the article.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you-I'll start dropping slowly now. Is there a specific pH buffering agent? I've read somewhere that baking soda works, but can't find the article.

It's when you bring it back up you may have issue but just go really slow and run an air stone and you'll be fine.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about running the prazi with hypo though, probably wouldn't hurt to do a water change and run some carbon. Maybe someone else can chime in on that?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thought-it's supposed to be extremely safe, but considering they've had 6 days of treatment I'll probably go ahead and run carbon then repeat Prazi after hypo...?

Pimentinha1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion fresh water dips do more damage than good.
The fish isn't dying because of the ick. It just lowered it's immune system to the point of being susceptible to diseases and/or infections.
What a terrible week...
Wish you all the best

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish isn't dying because of the ick. It just lowered it's immune system to the point of being susceptible to diseases and/or infections.
What a terrible week...
Wish you all the best

this

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a terrible week...
Wish you all the best[/QUOTE
I think it depends on when you give them a fwd dip. If it's early in the ich cycle it provides immediate relief. If you've been sitting on doing then that's a different story. Matching the pH and temp is key.

Pimentinha1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, PH and Temp are important but unless you are doing a dip to transfer the fish to a different tank (ick free) IMO it doesn't make any sense.
It's just going to stress the fish out (even more) and you are going to put it back again in an infested tank... I see a vicious cycle... Lol
Each person has it's own way of doing things.
I have gone thru the phase of FW dips, chasing fish to medicate for ick and all that.
Now, I just run a BF UV sterilizer and when my powder blue and hippo show anything, it's gone in a few days.
And if it's a persistent parasite I just goes thru it's cycles but it doesn't have the chance to take over and cause trouble to my fish.
I have not lost a fish due to a ick outbreak since my first 36 gallon tank.

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree about getting them out into an ich free tank. I just don't like switching tanks immediately after. The fwd dip does stress the fish no doubt. But it does cause the ich to burst immediately. Like you said before there is a point where you can't do anything. But I have had decent luck with it and it does have its place.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it was a last ditch effort. I firmly believe it would have died either way.
I don't practice FW dips... My 75g is Ich free and going to stay that way. My 29g had it at one point...I read a study that if you go 11 months without any new additions to a tank, the parasite will run out of hosts and die, so that's my current tactic with that tank. Fingers crossed it works :)

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there is a host there will be ich in your tank. You have to remember that by the time you see the white spots it's another part of the ich cycle. And that's where they drop off in masses and it gets worse. The only way to get rid of it is to treat the fish in qt and leave the tank falow for a minimum of 8 weeks.
I tried what you are thinking and it didn't go well. I didn't add any fish for a year and a half . I qt'd my new fish in copper and prazi for 2 months and for the last 2 weeks with no copper or prazi. I still had an outbreak and had to pull all the fish to treat them in qt.
I hope it works for you but it did not work for me. I would do a Google search on the life cycle of ich. I just wanted to let you know what I went through and good luck.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back