Ich in my QT

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although your 8 week method Is tried and true there is new research stating that If no new MI is introduce into an infected aquarium, the MI already there continues to cycle through multiple generations until about 10 to 11 months when the MI has ‘worn itself out’ and becomes less infective. A tank can be free of an MI infestation if it is never exposed to new MI parasites for over 11 months. It worked for me however I did things a little different I got the infected fish out of DT when he had white dots showing then treated him with nox ich for 14 days in QT put him back in DT and never saw ich again that was 2 years ago.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g is free because I ran it fallow for 11 weeks, since my research showed the longest dormant period was actually 72 days. All fish that went back in had been treated with Cupramine and PraziPro during those 11 weeks (obviously not the entire time).

As far as the study deerhunter is talking about, it makes sense, as other parasites will wear themselves out eventually given no new hosts... Either way, though, it's a 29g reef with 2 clownfish in it. I don't plan on adding any more fish, so as long as they stay healthy the tank will stay as is. No reason to put them through copper treatment if they have had no symptoms and I've had them around 9 months.
Interesting results in your situation, fishguy... Did you add *anything* in that year and a half? Inverts? Coral?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back