Ich Management Protocol

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing Ich management for over a year and have had no losses to ich itself, although it definitely played a role in some fish deaths. I’ve been able to keep all kinds of fish including the more sensitive acanthurus tangs such as powder blues and gold rims. However I did rehome 1 powder blue, and my sailfin took out my gold rim hybrid and newer powder blue, (both were eating and doing well for 2+ months and at a healthy weight with no visible ich spots, but were shanked by the sailfin..). I run an 80w UV on my 240 with a sicce 4.0 at minimum flow output. I feed flakes 3/4 times a day and frozen at night, usually hikari Nori enriched brine. I got this recommendation from NYAquatic and it’s been amazing. I used to use selcon religiously and it may have an impact, but since stopping i haven’t noticed any breakouts. Feeding the tangs Nori twice a day also has helped boost their immune system and i no longer see spots on any of my tangs. I recently added a 6 inch yellow belly hippo, I saw 3 visible spots on the third day and now none. None of my fish flash or exhibit any symptoms of ich, but I know it’s there and by keeping overall stress low and feed consistently I haven’t noticed any issues.
Edit: I forgot to mention I have also been dosing hydrogen peroxide for about 8 months. I started at 100ml a day and now dose 250ml a day vía a Neptune dos

Last edited:

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share your concern as well. Time will tell.
I’ve QT every fish that ever entered my system and STILL managed to get an infection. I was adding dipped corals throughout, so I guess maybe.

I think early infections are less of a problem in mature systems, with strong fish.

If they eat normally, this is a super big plus!

Best wishes
This is the best way I can describe ich management. If the fish is eating well and never stops eating, imo there is nothing to worry about and the outbreak will slowly take care of itself

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing Ich management for over a year and have had no losses to ich itself, although it definitely played a role in some fish deaths. I’ve been able to keep all kinds of fish including the more sensitive acanthurus tangs such as powder blues and gold rims. However I did rehome 1 powder blue, and my sailfin took out my gold rim hybrid and newer powder blue, (both were eating and doing well for 2+ months and at a healthy weight with no visible ich spots, but were shanked by the sailfin..). I run an 80w UV on my 240 with a sicce 4.0 at minimum flow output. I feed flakes 3/4 times a day and frozen at night, usually hikari Nori enriched brine. I got this recommendation from NYAquatic and it’s been amazing. I used to use selcon religiously and it may have an impact, but since stopping i haven’t noticed any breakouts. Feeding the tangs Nori twice a day also has helped boost their immune system and i no longer see spots on any of my tangs. I recently added a 6 inch yellow belly hippo, I saw 3 visible spots on the third day and now none. None of my fish flash or exhibit any symptoms of ich, but I know it’s there and by keeping overall stress low and feed consistently I haven’t noticed any issues.
Edit: I forgot to mention I have also been dosing hydrogen peroxide for about 8 months. I started at 100ml a day and now dose 250ml a day vía a Neptune dos
8 months hydrogen peroxide? Is that because you're worried if you stopped the ich may get worse?

My tang did get more spots, in fact she was pretty much covered one day and I got worried. However she is still eating great, and most of the spots have gone. Having said that she does get new spots every day so I'm just keeping on top of the feeding for now.

I think she might make it if she keeps going as she is. Then I'll continue dosing peroxide for a few weeks. I recently introduced some trochus snails, some are doing great, while others have frozen still for days... some have fallen, turned over and become a snack for my hermits the wee £%^&#! Gsp still not very happy but all other corals fish doing ok so far.

I did however notice my cleaner shrimp antennae look almost as though they are being dissolved, as in they are a bit thinner looking and not as straight as before. It's eating fine but I think I'll move it to a QT tank just in case.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on progress.

So since starting the peroxide dosing my regal has gotten much better! No invert/corals losses as of yet... but its worth mentioning that I've not started nightly dosing.. and may not do providing my regal continues to improve.

I've been so busy lately I've not had a chance to grab shellfish as suggested by Paul.. but still plan to do so. I've just made sure to feed regularly (5 times a day) and maintained good water and husbandry. Changing filter socks regularly and doing water changes.

For a few days it wasn't looking good, the regal was covered in white spot and I contemplated removing it to a QT... however she has recovered well and now only has 1 or 2 spots showing. No other fish showed any symptoms.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update

My regal is doing fantastic! White spots all gone and I only dosed for just over 3 weeks or so... my gsp took a hit ?but has recovered) and I eventually stopped the peroxide and simply maintained good water, changed filter socks every 2-3 days, but what I really think helped was upping feeds to 5-6 times daily. Mix of brine shrimp, mysis, and fish eggs. I think given the above, and providing the fish itself is reasonably healthy, ich doesn't need to be as scary as I once thought it was! Bare in mind she was very young/small to start so I was really worried, but she pulled through :D

She's recently started letting my cleaner shrimp give her the once over too which is cool to watch!

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Sorry to bring up your post since you made a final update, is it still the same situation? I have a tank full of Pre-QT and a couple I did on my own in my DT. It's still fairly new around 6 months and I came back from a trip and notice ich. I'm guessing my newest fish I QT had some as they are the only new things I added and it started to show up.

I have like 13 fish in 110g mix reef tank. My BT trigger was the one who has shown the most white spots so I took him out and he has just started copper treatment. The rest of the tank now is showing signs of ich albeit less severe as my BTT, maybe a few on a couple of them. I don't have the space to go full fallow and re-QT everything so my best option is to manage it so this post has been helpful.

I've been dosing H202 as I saw the post on humblefish's website and I'm wondering did you go back to dosing or ich is still gone? My corals at least aren't dying so far, they definitely are not happy though. Did you ever add a UV sterilizer? I'm going to try to up my feeding, but my nitrate already sitting around 30-50 so i'm worried additional feeding will cause it to go even higher.
Final update

My regal is doing fantastic! White spots all gone and I only dosed for just over 3 weeks or so... my gsp took a hit ?but has recovered) and I eventually stopped the peroxide and simply maintained good water, changed filter socks every 2-3 days, but what I really think helped was upping feeds to 5-6 times daily. Mix of brine shrimp, mysis, and fish eggs. I think given the above, and providing the fish itself is reasonably healthy, ich doesn't need to be as scary as I once thought it was! Bare in mind she was very young/small to start so I was really worried, but she pulled through :D

She's recently started letting my cleaner shrimp give her the once over too which is cool to watch!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back