Hello!

I am new to reefing. Have a 40 gallon Aquatop AIO, about 3 months old
Stocklist:
2 Clowns
1 blue spot puffer
2 cardinals
1 yellow watchman
1 diamond goby

I impulse bought a royal gramma from a different LFS and up to this point haven't quarantined anything (all other stock came from lfs that runs copper and has a good QT process). I noticed two spots on the gramma's tail but figured it could be anything. two weeks later and my puffer has a handful of spots and the gramma dies. Inspected gramma and was eating aggressively, acted normal and I've heard they can just die in the first few weeks for no reason so not sure if this was disease, parasite or just sad fish.

given a few days and feeding metro the puffer has reduced his ich spots dramatically and is doing overall well. no other spots on other fish.

Ideally I would run fish through TTM or copper and keep in QT and let display go fallow. Here's the predicament. I am moving in 2 months and will be setting up a new Reefer 350.

my initial plan was to use everything from Aquatop tank to jumpstart the new red sea but with ich now present I don't want to use anything unless I know its sterile.

do I start fresh on reefer 350? Add fritz turbostart 900 and once fish go through TTM and add stock? sucks to start fresh and loose 3 months progress on current tank but at this point i learned my lesson and will have QT from here.

Not sure how to proceed since moving adds a level of complexity i'm just not sure about.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

PFA

20210304_174952_011.jpg

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you staying in the area? Can you talk to the LFS that has the QT in place and see what they would charge for the service?

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you staying in the area? Can you talk to the LFS that has the QT in place and see what they would charge for the service?
New house is about an hour from LFS so close enough but wouldn't give aquatop long enough for fallow to kill ich (76 days) since I'm moving in 6 weeks. I know fritz is a rapid cycle but a little questioning on 7 fish in cycle. so unless LFS would let me move them in batches.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New house is about an hour from LFS so close enough but wouldn't give aquatop long enough for fallow to kill ich (76 days) since I'm moving in 6 weeks. I know fritz is a rapid cycle but a little questioning on 7 fish in cycle. so unless LFS would let me move them in batches.
Might still be worth a shot, if the LFS is willing to hold them for an extended period and you are willing to make the drive, or have them ship overnight. I just recently bought fish online and was very pleased with the outcome. They were in transit ~24 hours. Just some possible options to explore.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up the new 350 at the new house and run qt at the same time. New sand and new rock. Clean the rest of the equipment. Use the turbo start. When they are done with qt, in they go

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just qt in copper 2 weeks and then move them to a sterile tank. Then keep in that tank and sterilize display tank when u get to your new place

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back