Ich options

Lostatsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Firstly thanks to anyone who replies, this is my first post so please forgive me if it is not very clear. I set up a d&d Reefpro 1500 about a year ago and am having a few nightmares!! My latest one is the dreaded ich! I added live rock and waited over 6 months before adding a copperband butterfly to get rid of some aptasia that started popping up. After another 3 months all was well and the butterfly fish has been growing well. Recently I set up a quarantine tank and added a powder blue and some clownfish to it. These are now in copper as the powder blue developed ich. Unfortunately I also purchased a mandarin, scooter blenny and yellow wrasse. Stupidly I put them straight into my main tank as my lfs said they had been properly quarantined and would probably not survive a copper treatment anyway. Hence now my copperband butterfly is showing signs of ich. It is just the odd spot but I now have a powder blue about to come out of quarantine but can’t put him in the main display because of the ich. I doubt even if I could catch the fish in the display tank (it is pretty full of sps corals which seem to be growing nicely so really do not want to smash it all up catching the fish) the powder blue would probably attack at least the copperband as it is only a 105 litre quarantine. I think if I have to pull it all apart I might just give up! Do you think adding a 80watt D&D UV might control the ich, I know it will not eradicate it but now getting desperate!! Not sure how I would catch the yellow wrasse anyway as he dives in the sand plus the scooter blenny is very secretive. Any ideas would be great. Beginning to think unless I win the lottery so I can buy a house big enough to hold multiple quarantine tanks this hobby is to difficult! Thanks for your time.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Mandarin eating frozen, or just pods? If it is eating frozen, are you able to set up a 2nd QT? A fish trap may help you in catching the fish. I'm far from an expert but my recommendation would be to set up a 2nd QT, treat with copper alternatives, feed high quality foods, and allow the DT to go fallow. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 and @Paul B are the experts on this though, and each have successfully treated many fish through various methods.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, to catch the fish you cant catch, make the tank pitch black for 3 hours, then turn on a powerful light, then you can catch them, as they will be paralyzed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Treat with coppersafe and have a reliable copper test kit- no API either
The display tank will have to be fish less
at least 50-60 days at 80.5 degrees to assure the parasites have gone through their cycles without a host
Ruby rally reef is an option but takes longer
Option 3 is general cure

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lostatsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat with coppersafe and have a reliable copper test kit- no API either
The display tank will have to be fish less
at least 50-60 days at 80.5 degrees to assure the parasites have gone through their cycles without a host
Ruby rally reef is an option but takes longer
Option 3 is general cure
Thanks everyone. Can’t do hyposalinity in the dt as I have to many inverts in there. My lfs says he has had good luck with the 110 watt commercial uv but I know this will not cure it fully. I have ordered a fish trap for now but not sure the wife will let me have yet another tank in the house.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks everyone. Can’t do hyposalinity in the dt as I have to many inverts in there. My lfs says he has had good luck with the 110 watt commercial uv but I know this will not cure it fully. I have ordered a fish trap for now but not sure the wife will let me have yet another tank in the house.
Uv will be effective against new parasites and little on existing which are established

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand on the additional tanks. Just let her know it's temporary, and there's an actual cost benefit, as compared to losing all that livestock. You could easily sell the 2nd set up for 50-75% of what you paid, once the cycle is completed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Firstly thanks to anyone who replies, this is my first post so please forgive me if it is not very clear. I set up a d&d Reefpro 1500 about a year ago and am having a few nightmares!! My latest one is the dreaded ich! I added live rock and waited over 6 months before adding a copperband butterfly to get rid of some aptasia that started popping up. After another 3 months all was well and the butterfly fish has been growing well. Recently I set up a quarantine tank and added a powder blue and some clownfish to it. These are now in copper as the powder blue developed ich. Unfortunately I also purchased a mandarin, scooter blenny and yellow wrasse. Stupidly I put them straight into my main tank as my lfs said they had been properly quarantined and would probably not survive a copper treatment anyway. Hence now my copperband butterfly is showing signs of ich. It is just the odd spot but I now have a powder blue about to come out of quarantine but can’t put him in the main display because of the ich. I doubt even if I could catch the fish in the display tank (it is pretty full of sps corals which seem to be growing nicely so really do not want to smash it all up catching the fish) the powder blue would probably attack at least the copperband as it is only a 105 litre quarantine. I think if I have to pull it all apart I might just give up! Do you think adding a 80watt D&D UV might control the ich, I know it will not eradicate it but now getting desperate!! Not sure how I would catch the yellow wrasse anyway as he dives in the sand plus the scooter blenny is very secretive. Any ideas would be great. Beginning to think unless I win the lottery so I can buy a house big enough to hold multiple quarantine tanks this hobby is to difficult! Thanks for your time.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, the logistics of this predicament are going to be tricky. UV sterilizers, even when sized correctly, don’t always control advanced cases of ich. Roughly how many spots would you say the copperband has on it?
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back