Ich out of nowhere

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to a tang with itch. Not entirely sure how or why. The newest editions to the tank are about a month old and from a reputable small business (he keeps his fish in QT for 2-3 weeks before selling them). But this is my question. Instead of moving all the fish from the DT, could I get away with moving the rocks, coral, anemone, cleaner shrimp and a portion of substrate to another tank and just treating the large DT

20230924_094844.jpg 20230924_094850.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, sadly it doesn't just come out of nowhere! :face-with-monocle: If it's in there, it came with one of your fish likely.

If you treat for ich with copper in this tank, copper will likely remain in the sand. Why don't just move the fish if you have a QT already? Seems easier to me! :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The short answer is yes. The longer answer is it can be problematic. You would still need to keep your corals, etc tc - in the other tank fallow for weeks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Additionally, you would need to make sure - via levels that all of the copper in your display tank is removed. (in other words - you wouldn't want a filter, sand, etc in your display tank with copper)

OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, sadly it doesn't just come out of nowhere! :face-with-monocle: If it's in there, it came with one of your fish likely.

If you treat for ich with copper in this tank, copper will likely remain in the sand. Why don't just move the fish if you have a QT already? Seems easier to me! :)
The QT tank is to small for all the fish. I would just keep a portion of the substrate and trash the rest.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The QT tank is to small for all the fish. I would just keep a portion of the substrate and trash the rest.
I would keep none of the substrate. Additionally, your filter etc will also adsorb copper - and you will need a close eye on copper levels.

OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep none of the substrate. Additionally, your filter etc will also adsorb copper - and you will need a close eye on copper levels.
Yea I was only going to save some that I keep aside to avoid weird new tank syndrome. I have a traditional filter as well as a UV one I know with both have to be heavily cleaned/replaced before re introducing the coral and invertebrates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I re-thought about this. You can go buy a cheap tank - and create a QT set up - which will be much much easier than doing what you're planning. Keep your inverts, rock, etc in your display - and move your fish to another tank - thats the standard recommendation - and it's the standard recommendation for a reason - i.e. its the best way to do it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I was only going to save some that I keep aside to avoid weird tank syndrome. I have a traditional filter as well as a UV one I know with both have to be heavily cleaned/replaced before re introducing the coral and invertebrates.
Except all you would really need to do - is just take the fish out - and leave your UV, etc - with your fallow tank. My initial answer was a bit cavalier - you CAN do it the way you suggested - but it is going to be much more cumbersome - and likely to cause problems than the standard way

OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-thought about this. You can go buy a cheap tank - and create a QT set up - which will be much much easier than doing what you're planning. Keep your inverts, rock, etc in your display - and move your fish to another tank - thats the standard recommendation - and it's the standard recommendation for a reason - i.e. its the best way to do it.
I have a 20 gal QT tank but I don't have the space for 2 QT tanks (nor do I want to buy more filters heaters etc) and I don't want all the fish in one tank with only a couple pieces of PVC. I just got their anxiety under control after getting rid of a bully fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 20 gal QT tank but I don't have the space for 2 QT tanks (nor do I want to buy more filters heaters etc) and I don't want all the fish in one tank with only a couple pieces of PVC. I just got their anxiety under control after getting rid of a bully fish.
It's always your decision - I'm just giving you my answer. You are much more likely to have intermittent short/long-term problems with the method you're choosing - but - if very carefully done - you may be fine. Best wishes for success

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to a tang with itch. Not entirely sure how or why. The newest editions to the tank are about a month old and from a reputable small business (he keeps his fish in QT for 2-3 weeks before selling them). But this is my question. Instead of moving all the fish from the DT, could I get away with moving the rocks, coral, anemone, cleaner shrimp and a portion of substrate to another tank and just treating the large DT

20230924_094844.jpg 20230924_094850.jpg
First thing, I think we need to confirm that this is ich and not just mucus plugs/cones.

The spots are pretty large.

Do any other fish have spots?
Can you post clearer pictures?

If it does end up being ich, if you can move your invertebrates out, you could treat your display with a hyposalinity treatment and avoid the whole issue of copper and your rocks.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing, I think we need to confirm that this is ich and not just mucus plugs/cones.

If it does end up being ich, if you can move your invertebrates out, you could treat your display with a hyposalinity treatment and avoid the whole issue of copper and your rocks.

Jay
He was also scratching against the air stone in the corner. I will gladly try hyposalonity

Attachments

• 20230924_095216.jpg
    20230924_095216.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230924_095228.jpg
    20230924_095228.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230924_094850.jpg
    20230924_094850.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Attachments

• 20230924_161952.jpg
    20230924_161952.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd watch this for another day. Those spots are really "diffuse". Marine ich looks more like grains of salt. The spots are smaller, with sharper edges. The spots also tend to come and go, changing in relaitve number and location day to day, but generally increasing in numbers over time.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd watch this for another day. Those spots are really "diffuse". Marine ich looks more like grains of salt. The spots are smaller, with sharper edges. The spots also tend to come and go, changing in relaitve number and location day to day, but generally increasing in numbers over time.

Jay
Wonderful. I will absolutely just keep an eye out on things for a few days. What could it be if not ich? Doesn't really look like velvet at all. Their food is treated with vitamins and garlic

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you have a QT tank. Wouldnt it make more sense to move the fish out? You def don’t wanna ever introduce copper to a reef tank. A FOWLR maybe. But the copper will stay on the sand, and possibly the silicone holding together your tank. Also fyi copper does a good job of killing off bacteria. I wouldn’t want that in my display.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful. I will absolutely just keep an eye out on things for a few days. What could it be if not ich? Doesn't really look like velvet at all. Their food is treated with vitamins and garlic
It’s definitely not velvet.

Hepatus tangs develop mucus plugs in response to stress. These don’t exactly look like them, but they are about this size.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

ZeroCthulthu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a QT tank. Wouldnt it make more sense to move the fish out? You def don’t wanna ever introduce copper to a reef tank. A FOWLR maybe. But the copper will stay on the sand, and possibly the silicone holding together your tank. Also fyi copper does a good job of killing off bacteria. I wouldn’t want that in my display.
Because I'm not sticking 6 fish in 20 gallons and I don't have the space for another tank. My tank is fish, PVC, and rock with some sand and a couple plugs of coral
It’s definitely not velvet.

Hepatus tangs develop mucus plugs in response to stress. These don’t exactly look like them, but they are about this size.

Jay
So weird. We do call this tang a drama queen though. It hung out like a Victorian lady with the ennui for about two weeks. All the water parameters are the same (i.e. no drastic changes), no recent additions, no loud or bright environmental factors so who knows. None of the other fish appear to have spots. And all (tang included) are eating so....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back