Ich outbreak

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently had a very large ich outbreak in my display tank. Unfortunately only 3 of the fish survived and 5 died. The fish that survived are currently in my quarantine tank and I'm dosing copper. Those fish have already gotten rid of ich, but I was wondering how long do I have to wait before putting my fish back into my display tank? Thanks.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You should run copper at minimum required weeks only at therapeutic levels.

once complete a 2 week observation period is typically common. This gives you time to observe the fish and also run a anti bacterial medication like Prazipro

Sorry for the loss.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank should remain completely fishless (fallow) somewhere between 45-72 days, depending on temperature and your tolerance of risk. 45 days is now recommended if the display temperature is 81 degrees. One way to do it would be to run 31 days of 2.5 ppm Coppersafe of Copper Power, then 2 weeks of observation. Another way would be to run copper until the 45 days is up.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank should remain completely fishless (fallow) somewhere between 45-72 days, depending on temperature and your tolerance of risk. 45 days is now recommended if the display temperature is 81 degrees. One way to do it would be to run 31 days of 2.5 ppm Coppersafe of Copper Power, then 2 weeks of observation. Another way would be to run copper until the 45 days is up.
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back