Ich returns after 76 day fallow

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was fallow- no fish for 76 days. Only 1 fish survived the first round a powder blue tang.

TTM and then QT for the Powder blue. No issues in the tiny QT tank for the entire QT period. There were 2 other fish in the QT that were in there before the tank got ich. So one of those fish was in qt for over 3 months.

Fallow period was up and I put fish back in.......

The Powder blue has ich again after 5 days.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are cases where there are already cystic forms of Cryptocaryon in the quarantine by the previous presence of other fish, that resist the treatment of copper of 30 days, hatch and re-infect the treated fish, still in the quarantine. If the fish is already resistant after the first infestation, it will not show the typical signs while in quarantine, but when this fish returns to the tank after the resting, by stress of the change can restart the cycle and recontaminate the aquarium.

Best regards

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a best course of action, I'd recommend to re-QT your fish and allow your tank to sit fallow for another 76 days (so long as you're positive that it is ich you are dealing with). CP treatment would be optimal for ridding the fish of parasites if you believe that you could have a copper resistant strain of ich.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be soooooo P.O.'ed I swear it up non-stop for 5 minutes in French Québecois.

I did 2.5 months, such a pain, as my 30g with 20g of water needed a WC every 2-3 days of 5g, emptied the Cupramine bottle rather quick. I had to reduce the total water in the QT to make it last long enough.

My the copper treatment wasn't long enough in the QT?

Man I would be so angry. Feel sorry for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps review your QT procedures to minimize potential for cross-contamination. Separate cleaning utensils, feeding, etc. Wash and dry hands before working in the next tank.

OP
OP
Rick Cavanaugh

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 90% sure it is ich. I volunteer at a public aquarium and I will have the marine scientists there microscopically verify. It is only a few scattered spots now. Hard to see with actinic lighting
IMG_3111.jpg
IMG_3112.jpg

OP
OP
Rick Cavanaugh

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps review your QT procedures to minimize potential for cross-contamination. Separate cleaning utensils, feeding, etc. Wash and dry hands before working in the next tank.
QT tank was in the garage. DT was in the house. zero cross contamination. Always washed and dried hands between tanks, any tools used would be bleach dipped and dried before switching tanks. Fish had zero issues in a VERY small 20 gallon tank which had to be stressful for such a long period

I am wondering if this is a variety that needs well beyond 76 days fallow

OP
OP
Rick Cavanaugh

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My typical treatment is tank transfer method not copper. However, the tang was coppered for 2 weeks and then tank transfer method. I know the copper treatment was too short, seemed stressed and stopped eating so I went to a full TTM which seemed to cure him as there was no signs of ich during the whole QT time.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those other two fish treated for ich or just observational qt?

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank was in the garage. DT was in the house. zero cross contamination. Always washed and dried hands between tanks, any tools used would be bleach dipped and dried before switching tanks. Fish had zero issues in a VERY small 20 gallon tank which had to be stressful for such a long period

I am wondering if this is a variety that needs well beyond 76 days fallow

Possible, but would be an outlier to say the least. More likely process.

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you don't have the right dosage of cupramine in your hospital tank, the ich will hide and reshow up after you place your fish back in the main display. That is what happens with the fish you bring from LFS. They are under low dosage in their tank. They call that therapeutic dose but won't kill or cure ich.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My typical treatment is tank transfer method not copper. However, the tang was coppered for 2 weeks and then tank transfer method. I know the copper treatment was too short, seemed stressed and stopped eating so I went to a full TTM which seemed to cure him as there was no signs of ich during the whole QT time.

Two weeks in Cu should be enough provided it was continuously at a therapeutic level. Then into a clean freshly prepared QT at least 10’ away. The TTM process should have cleared it too.

OP
OP
Rick Cavanaugh

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you don't have the right dosage of cupramine in your hospital tank, the ich will hide and reshow up after you place your fish back in the main display. That is what happens with the fish you bring from LFS. They are under low dosage in their tank. They call that therapeutic dose but won't kill or cure ich.
That is why I did the tank transfer method which will erradicate ich

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is good to know. One LFS said it was like the flu, all have ich somewhere. Thank goodness for R2R - I followed the advice and I am now Ich Free, one month later with five fish.

Though it was the hardest thing I've ever done - hobby-wise.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine what went wrong or how frustrated you must be.

Best of luck wiping these
things out

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back