Ich treatment

kevmorr90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed I had ich in my tank so I bought kick-ich pro because I had an anemone in the tank, it recently died. On days 3 through 7 fish looked like ich was gone and on day 8 fish look worse but still eating . My question is can I switch treatments now that my anemone is dead? And use something with copper, also do you do water changes during treatments or will that dilute the treatment.

Ph 8.0
Ni 0
Ammonia 0
Na 0
Salinity 1.022
Temperature 78

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If its just fish you can do copper treatment. If the tank was cycled already then you shouldn't need to worry about any water change. The bacteria will take care of any nutrients. After treatment there are methods to remove the copper from your system.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do copper in the tank if you have any desire to get inverts again in the future.
The rocks and sand absorb copper (making dosing difficult) and leach it out at a later date (harming inverts later).
With no inverts in the tank, hyposalinity is a viable option:

OP
OP
kevmorr90

kevmorr90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my question is can I switch treatments, stop using the kick ich pro and switch to imagitarium parasite remedy treatment. Or do I need to wait for the tank to cycle out the kick ich treatment?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither kick ich or imagitarium parasite remedy actually have any effect on ich in a reef. Kick ich is administered at too low a dose to be effective, and the other herbal remedy just doesn’t do much.
Nothing wrong with switching to a more effective treatment.

OP
OP
kevmorr90

kevmorr90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you prefer?
Neither kick ich or imagitarium parasite remedy actually have any effect on ich in a reef. Kick ich is administered at too low a dose to be effective, and the other herbal remedy just doesn’t do much.
Nothing wrong with switching to a more effective treatment.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But my question is can I switch treatments, stop using the kick ich pro and switch to imagitarium parasite remedy treatment. Or do I need to wait for the tank to cycle out the kick ich treatment?
You can stop using Kick Ich Pro. However, I don't think Imagitarium will be better. The tank should be 'cycled' before you add fish - so I don't understand completely the question. I would recommend you set up a qt tank and use the protocol in the fish disease forum - or the hyposalinity protocol:)

OP
OP
kevmorr90

kevmorr90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stop using Kick Ich Pro. However, I don't think Imagitarium will be better. The tank should be 'cycled' before you add fish - so I don't understand completely the question. I would recommend you set up a qt tank and use the protocol in the fish disease forum - or the hyposalinity protocol:)
I won’t be adding any fish. I was wondering if I can switch forms of treatment by using a different medication for the tank or if that would harm the fish switching the medication, from what I’m currently using (kick ich pro) to something better and more effective on ich. It’s a fish only tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I won’t be adding any fish. I was wondering if I can switch forms of treatment by using a different medication for the tank or if that would harm the fish switching the medication, from what I’m currently using (kick ich pro) to something better and more effective on ich. It’s a fish only tank
Yes you can 'switch treatments' - however, I'm not sure either of the treatments (the current one or the potential new one you discussed) will help. If you want to eradicate Ich, you IMHO, should put your fish in a hospital/QT tank (without rock) - and use a copper based treatment followed by prazipro. Then leave your tank fallow, without fish for 45-76 days - depending on the protocol you choose. Hope this helps, are you sure that one of your fish has/had ich?

OP
OP
kevmorr90

kevmorr90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can 'switch treatments' - however, I'm not sure either of the treatments (the current one or the potential new one you discussed) will help. If you want to eradicate Ich, you IMHO, should put your fish in a hospital/QT tank (without rock) - and use a copper based treatment followed by prazipro. Then leave your tank fallow, without fish for 45-76 days - depending on the protocol you choose. Hope this helps, are you sure that one of your fish has/had ich?
I was told if one fish has it they all do and the whole tank needs to be treated for it and no need to us a QT . I also don’t have another tank just my 150. So is there a treatment that works the best or people had the best luck with my situation

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was told if one fish has it they all do and the whole tank needs to be treated for it and no need to us a QT . I also don’t have another tank just my 150. So is there a treatment that works the best or people had the best luck with my situation
I wouldn’t do copper in the tank if you have any desire to get inverts again in the future.
The rocks and sand absorb copper (making dosing difficult) and leach it out at a later date (harming inverts later).
With no inverts in the tank, hyposalinity is a viable option:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use carbon to remove any treatment left if needed.

As form treatment in the tank, Poly Lab Reef Medic works for ich if used early in the cycle (a few spots on one or two fish). You dose twice a day for 10 days, then use carbon 2-3 days to remove what’s left.

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can clear an infected tank with the appropriate fallow (fishless) period.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Duplicate

OP
OP
kevmorr90

kevmorr90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use carbon to remove any treatment left if needed.

As form treatment in the tank, Poly Lab Reef Medic works for ich if used early in the cycle (a few spots on one or two fish). You dose twice a day for 10 days, then use carbon 2-3 days to remove what’s left.
You want the salinity fish at 1.009 to fight ich.
Yea I don’t know about that low wouldn’t their immune systems shut down and die off. Cause I’m sure you have to do this for a few weeks right

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don’t know about that low wouldn’t their immune systems shut down and die off. Cause I’m sure you have to do this for a few weeks right
The fish will be fine that low.
This method is researched by one of the top experts we have on fish disease.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back