Ich treatment

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a blue hippo that seems to have ich. Whats the best treatment? Would love to treat the tank because getting him out would be almost impossible.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give his some time.. he may get over it.. also get a Neon Goby or 2 (they will clean him) and some food with garlic

contingency plan if it gets badly and he's starting to float.. Hospital tank
10g
lid
hob filter
Copper Power

i have a baby blue tang that is recovering had to hospitalize him. he stayed in the tank for 3 days then moved back to the display and the neon goby and finishing the treatment.. soo far he's doing good but i wont say he's 100%

Rhodes19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am truly lucky that i never had to deal with ich - Here is a great thread that should help with all kinds of info on ich - https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-discussion/56989-ich-discussion-treatment-options.html

+1 to what fsu1dolfan said. If your hippo is in a reef tank, you are going to have to remove him and all the other fish and treat them with copper or hypo salinity in a hospital/quarantine tank. You will also need to leave your DT tank fallow (fishless) for 8 weeks to make sure all the parasites die before you put your fish back into the DT. Your other option is to leave your tank as is and do not add anything to it (fish, live rock, corals etc.) for 11 months. By then, the ich will have become so week, they are no longer a threat (has something to do with genetics I think, but don't hold me to that). HTH.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back