Ich

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeingwhite spots on my six line wrasse. It is ich. Along with the wrasse I have two clownfish. I just ordered some garlic and selcon for feeding. What should I do, can the fish naturally fight it off with garlic and selcon or do I need to do a treatment. Or quarantine and do a copper treatment

Last edited:

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It depends if you want to eradicate ich or manage them. If you want to eradicate, you need to take the fish out and put them in QT with copper and go fallow in your display for 92 days. If you want to manage, use garlic and selcon to build up their immune systems and have good water quality.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends if you want to eradicate ich or manage them. If you want to eradicate, you need to take the fish out and put them in QT with copper and go fallow in your display for 76 days. If you want to manage, use garlic and selcon to build up their immune systems and have good water quality.

@Gernader is it 92 or 76? I thought the new recommended duration was 92 as there were a few cases where Ich survived the 76 day fallow period..

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Gernader is it 92 or 76? I thought the new recommended duration was 92 as there were a few cases where Ich survived the 76 day fallow period..
Oh, I honestly didn't know that there were some cases that ich survived the 76 days. In that case, I would do 92 days just to be safe.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is in my display the problem is that I don’t have a quarantine

I would setup a QT tank. There are method for Ich Management, but I failed at it. And nothing is better than Ich wiping our a full tank after a year or 2, especially with prised livestock.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is in my display the problem is that I don’t have a quarantine
Any chance you have some space/money for a QT? If not, there are many people on here that are managing ich successfully.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any products that help stop ich
I had a bad ich outbreak before that I went fallow for months and I got ich again by a coral frag. So, I decided not to go through the fallow process again and just manage ich. I haven't seen a spot for a long time. Just do not stress out your fish and feed garlic with selcon.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad ich outbreak before that I went fallow for months and I got ich again by a coral frag. So, I decided not to go through the fallow process again and just manage ich. I haven't seen a spot for a long time. Just do not stress out your fish and feed garlic with selcon.
Ok thanks that’s what I’m planning

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how far you are from New Jersey, but if you feel like taking a drive, I have a spare 20g tank, a 30g tank, some marine pure blocks, air pump, probably even a foam filter.
Thanks for the offer I don’t think I have the time to drive to New Jersey

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to manage it first and if it get bad I will save the money to get a qt
You can get a small used aquarium cheap on Facebook marketplace and probably a hob filter and small powerhead too. I have 2 QT’s setup and it wasn’t that expensive to do. Cheaper than losing an entire DT.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back