Ich

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I posted about this. Yesterday I woke up and saw a few white dots maybe two or three on one of my clowns went to go get stuff to treat it and came back a few hours later and saw nothing so I didn’t put any meds in the tank then I wake up this morning and they both have white spots everywhere…. I’m so confused

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I posted about this. Yesterday I woke up and saw a few white dots maybe two or three on one of my clowns went to go get stuff to treat it and came back a few hours later and saw nothing so I didn’t put any meds in the tank then I wake up this morning and they both have white spots everywhere…. I’m so confused
Ich falls off into sand to reproduce so that is why they dissapeared only to mutilply.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hermits 1 cerith snail 1 goniopora 1 clove polyp temp is 77 salinity is 1.027 I know it’s high but I’m new and I’m trying
Ph=8.0
Ammonia=0-.25
Nitrate=0-5.0
@fishguy242
66B362F3-344B-495C-A73F-CC002A71DCC8.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics a little fuzzy but I have reason to believe this May be brooklynella and not ich. Ich doesn’t come back a day later and fall off to reproduce.Most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.1 Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections .measures. Quick cure in the form of formaldehyde is the treatment of choice.
Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a freshwater dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems. Once the initial dip or bath is done, place the fish into a QT under hyposalinity to help keep any possible new free-swimming protists from infecting the fish again, and then obtain a formalin medication as soon as possible to begin treatment.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics a little fuzzy but I have reason to believe this May be brooklynella and not ich. Ich doesn’t come back a day later and fall off to reproduce.Most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.1 Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections .measures. Quick cure in the form of formaldehyde is the treatment of choice.
Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a freshwater dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems. Once the initial dip or bath is done, place the fish into a QT under hyposalinity to help keep any possible new free-swimming protists from infecting the fish again, and then obtain a formalin medication as soon as possible to begin treatment.
I don’t have a quarantine tank can’t really afford one at the moment Is there a way to treat this without a quarantine tank

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a quarantine tank can’t really afford one at the moment Is there a way to treat this without a quarantine tank
Whether ich or brook. No way to treat in DT. If not resolved they will die. Maybe take to LFS. The top LFS’ will treat fish for a price or maybe free. Not sure. Here Dallas North Aquarium treats sick fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hermits 1 cerith snail 1 goniopora 1 clove polyp temp is 77 salinity is 1.027 I know it’s high but I’m new and I’m trying
Ph=8.0
Ammonia=0-.25
Nitrate=0-5.0
@fishguy242
66B362F3-344B-495C-A73F-CC002A71DCC8.jpeg
The life cycle of ich/Cryptocaryon begins with the parasites in sync with one another, so early on, the spots will come and go in unison. As the disease progresses, the spots will increase in number and there will be spots on the fish all of the time.
It is unlikely that herbtana will control an advanced case of ich. Three treatments can work: copper or low salinity in a treatment tank, or the tank transfer method, where you move the fish from container to container to break the life cycle. You would still need a separate tank for that because if you put the fish back into your display within 45 to 76 days, they will just get reinfected.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ruby rally pro is reef safe but takes longer

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imho, i don't think that your tank was ready for fish at two weeks old and with measurable ammonia.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back