Ich !!!

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two quick questions currently I’m dealing with ich and have been using polyp lab reef medic and it is been working well up until today. I see a bunch of spots on my to spot bristle tooth Tang I am curious if doing a water change and vacuuming, the sand will help and if a UV sterilizer would make a difference I have a 100 gallon tank with corals two clown fish and a bicolor blenny what do you think should be my next step?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two quick questions currently I’m dealing with ich and have been using polyp lab reef medic and it is been working well up until today. I see a bunch of spots on my to spot bristle tooth Tang I am curious if doing a water change and vacuuming, the sand will help and if a UV sterilizer would make a difference I have a 100 gallon tank with corals two clown fish and a bicolor blenny what do you think should be my next step?
Polyp Lab medic is hit and miss as its a peroxide salt based on peroxide treatments which often dont work long term. Best is to treat either with coppersafe Or hyposalinity (1.009) Water change is advised to remove any cysts in the gravel that are present or have died off.
UV is also helpful but will address what passes through its channel that are free floating and not as misconcepted get the parasites off the fish.
Next best step is quaranting the fish and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Siphoning the sand every night does help remove the resting stage ich tomonts. A very strong UV can also help, however there is some thought that UV light will break down the peroxides in the poly lab medic.

Jay

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab medic is hit and miss as its a peroxide salt based on peroxide treatments which often dont work long term. Best is to treat either with coppersafe Or hyposalinity (1.009) Water change is advised to remove any cysts in the gravel that are present or have died off.
UV is also helpful but will address what passes through its channel that are free floating and not as misconcepted get the parasites off the fish.
Next best step is quaranting the fish and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Ok thanks quick question what do you do if you have a sickness in your tank I noticed you have a big tank with a lot of fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thanks quick question what do you do if you have a sickness in your tank I noticed you have a big tank with a lot of fish
Mine dont get sick as I practice prevention with optimum water quality and diet.
What would I do if it occurred. . . . . . . . Last outbreak I had was velvet about 5 years ago and I took a chance as I was going away for the weekend and used both Polyp Lab Medic and Ruby Rally Pro and miraculously beat in in 4 days but continued treatment for another week. This is not a typical treatment but shows " Prayer works".
If Ich- I would likely have to do daily 50% water changes until eradicated - Thank goodness, I have 8 buckets of salt to accomplish this.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dont get sick as I practice prevention with optimum water quality and diet.
What would I do if it occurred. . . . . . . . Last outbreak I had was velvet about 5 years ago and I took a chance as I was going away for the weekend and used both Polyp Lab Medic and Ruby Rally Pro and miraculously beat in in 4 days but continued treatment for another week. This is not a typical treatment but shows " Prayer works".
If Ich- I would likely have to do daily 50% water changes until eradicated - Thank goodness, I have 8 buckets of salt to accomplish this.
Should I also be using rally

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should I also be using rally
because it was velvet, I used Rally but rally does not address ich, but being reef safe, you have nothing to lose.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because it was velvet, I used Rally but rally does not address ich, but being reef safe, you have nothing to lose.
Yeah another problem I what is going on with my bicolor
IMG_7070.jpeg
IMG_7069.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah another problem I what is going on with my bicolor
IMG_7070.jpeg
IMG_7069.jpeg
Pics very dark and fuzzy- cant see a thing. Please repost under white lighting only and assure both the tank glass and camera lens are clean

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
If I can catch them I will
My Midas blenny was in terrible condition , scratching , keeping head almost above water. I honestly didn’t think he was going to make it but he’s in quarantine now and now swimming and perching in the tank. Unfortunately there were some that didn’t make it, including my 4 year old blenny. That hurt a lot. But it’s best to save them while you can or use other methods if you’re willing. Good luck bro

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so let’s say I catch my 2 clowns , bicolor, and two spot can they qt in twenty gallon along with my fire fish and 2 chromis that are already in there with copper

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back