Ick in my tank

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you can see my clownfish has ick. I’ve been treating him with this imagitarium parasite remedy. It seems like it is working well and I started treatments on Friday. In the video this morning he was acting a lot worse but as I’m typing this he’s acting just normal again. So I’m just reaching out about any better ick treatment or anything recommendations.

EC3519E5-5768-47BB-9E16-DDE8929B7A36.jpeg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think there are any "herbal" treatments that will cure ich (that seems to be the general consensus among other members here as well)...copper or hyposalinity seem to be the only true treatments

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That product is an herbal tonic, made from various tree oils. It does not seem to work for most people if their fish have active infections. The trouble is that there is such a strong market for "reef safe" medications, and there is no oversight to the market, that companies take liberties with a few studies out there and make up their own elixirs, and people buy them because they present an easier solution.

The two best marine ich treatments would be copper or hyposalinity. The tank transfer method can also work.

What often happens is that when Cryptocaryon/ich first starts up, the parasites are all more or less in unison, and so when they all drop off to reproduce, it SEEMS like the medication is working. However, then their daughter cells return and infect the fish, and they get spots again. Eventually, they become out of sync and the fish gets more and more spots and eventually dies.

That said, you clown may have other issues at the same time. What are the water quality tests running at?

Jay

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@livinlifeinBKK is correct. Herbal remedies just don't have what it takes to cure ich or velvet or brooklynella. I cannot enlarge the videos adequately to confirm your diagnosis.

If it is ich or velvet or brooklynella, you will need to follow the Quarentine Protocol link below.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think there are any "herbal" treatments that will cure ich (that seems to be the general consensus among other members here as well)...copper or hyposalinity seem to be the only true treatments
Would this be better?

Attachments

• C5D7551F-D523-44A1-8397-0280F712DC5A.png
    C5D7551F-D523-44A1-8397-0280F712DC5A.png
    185.7 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be better?
I believe CopperSafe is a good product... the copper medications that would really cure ich can't be dosed directly into your DT. You have to quarantine the fish to treat them and to actually get rid of ich in the tank once and for all you have to go fallow (I assume you have other inhabitants that wouldn't allow you to do hyposalinity in your DT)...Jay is the expert and if I were you I'd follow his advice

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That product is an herbal tonic, made from various tree oils. It does not seem to work for most people if their fish have active infections. The trouble is that there is such a strong market for "reef safe" medications, and there is no oversight to the market, that companies take liberties with a few studies out there and make up their own elixirs, and people buy them because they present an easier solution.

The two best marine ich treatments would be copper or hyposalinity. The tank transfer method can also work.

What often happens is that when Cryptocaryon/ich first starts up, the parasites are all more or less in unison, and so when they all drop off to reproduce, it SEEMS like the medication is working. However, then their daughter cells return and infect the fish, and they get spots again. Eventually, they become out of sync and the fish gets more and more spots and eventually dies.

That said, you clown may have other issues at the same time. What are the water quality tests running at?

Jay
Water quality is good I tested last night. Ammonia was at 0 as well as nitrites at 0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe CopperSafe is a good product... the copper medications that would really cure ich can't be dosed directly into your DT. You have to quarantine the fish to treat them and to actually get rid of ich in the tank once and for all you have to go fallow (I assume you have other inhabitants that wouldn't allow you to do hyposalinity in your DT)...Jay is the expert and if I were you I'd follow his advice
I only have one clownfish at the moment. Would that be worth doing hypo salinity in my tank or would thank harm my fish more for the worse

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Would you recommend hypo or copper more. I do not have a QT tank that is cycled yet so would hypo be better

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case if there are no inverts in the dt, hypo will work. The problem with copper in the dt is that the rocks will absorb it, so it needs to be administered and in a separate tank. I would work on getting a qt set up though for future additions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case if there are no inverts in the dt, hypo will work. The problem with copper in the dt is that the rocks will absorb it, so it needs to be administered and in a separate tank. I would work on getting a qt set up though for future additions.
So what should I do to achieve a hyposalinity in my tank?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Coppersafe will address ich and obviously to be performed in a quarantine setting for a Full 30 days at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna- No Api brand at 80 degrees
Also monitor ammonia level during treatment and optional but advised, , , increase aeration with an air stone
the tank the clowns are in will have to remain fishless (Fallow) for 45-60 days to assure the cycts and tromonts have gone through their life cycles without a host and die off
Hypo requires drop gradually in salinity and tank transfer method other option but Can stress fish - stick with the coppersafe

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to an earlier question, are you confident on your diagnosis, likewise, have other responders been able to see the fish clearly enough to diagnose? Of course, the preferred handling of any new fish is the quarantine with copper and prazi treatment. Since you have an active infection, just want to be sure it's accurately diagnosed and not brook which can target clowns.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back