ick?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't even get me started on doing things right, and getting bad results. I ran my tank fishless for 9 weeks. And qt'd all my fish for 4 weeks plus and still have white spots showing up. This hobby can kick you right where it counts at any moment.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rescued a flame angel from the petco here and it almost took out $300 in fish so quarantine is the way to go. Luckily ever thing survived and is doing good. The funny thing is I got my quarantine tank from then after I got the fish. A 20 gallon aquarium kit comes with everything you need. To piece one together cost about a $100 but the kit cost $60. Trust me every fish that comes in my house will visit there first.

Acipenser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the symptoms that you describe, I would say that you do not have ich. Ich will look like small white spots which are most easily seen in transparent fins. It can also look like salt on the body. Search for pictures on the web. It alse will not cause large open wounds on the fish. It is possible that the fish had ich and while scratching themselves on rock or gravel caused a wound, and then bacteria secondarily invaded and caused a larger problem.

If you want to get frags, just remove your fish to a quarantine tank. Try your best to determine what is the cause of your outbreak, and treat accordingly. DO NOT TREAT THE DISPLAY (if you want to get frags any time soon). DO NOT TREAT THE DISPLAY EVER WITH COPPER!! Copper can bind to the rock and gravel, and then if later the pH drops too low, it can be released back into the aquarium killing any inverts. It can also be released at levels high enough to kill the fish.

It is nearly impossible to keep diseases out of your tank. Just to many pathways for entry. Quarantine is probably the best method to reduce the chances of it getting in your tank. The other is to keep the fish as stress free as possible. Stress is a major factor in fish disease. Unstressed fish can normally fight off infections or parasites before they become a problem.

Last edited:

Acipenser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From re-reading your description, it sounds that you might have a fighting issue that is leading to the wounds and possible infections. Chromis and psuedochromis are notorious for fighting. Watch them carefully to see if the psuedochromis is fighting with the chromis.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i did notice about a week ago two chromis "kissing" which is their way of sizing each other up. But there was 5-1inch fish in a 150gallon tank! How much space does a little fish need to feel that it doesnt need to fight

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i dont think its ick either. The pseudeo has a fuzzy mouth diesase or something similiar. The chromis had uroema or however i spelt it eariler.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back