Can someone help to diagnose my Gem

JimmyNg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

Had this guy in my tank for 2 years, plenty of space (1200 L system), sharing it with a purple tang, yellow tang, blue tang, 2 clowns and 7 chromis.

Lately he have been hanging out in a low flow corner, only eating if i overfeed and pellets are right in front of him, it has been going on for 2-3 weeks. He used to be a pretty active eater when the feeder goes off.
I cant seem to spot any particular aggression. Only visible signs are the fins that looks terrible.

IMG_4957.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vote for aggression - which perhaps now has turned into a bacterial infection. I would consider removing the fish - and treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic - like neoplex. I'm assuming it's not breathing fast - and you don't see anything resembling another parasite. Did you qt the fish when bought (I know its been a long time) - and the other fish you might have added since>

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dorsal Fin damage on Zebrasoma tangs is often caused by head and lateral line erosion, but that takes months to develop, not weeks, so I’d say injury and secondary infection as well in this case.

OP
OP
J

JimmyNg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.

No fish have been added since the gem, actually latest addision to the tank was 6m+ ago which was a few coral frags. He was observed in a qt tank for 2months prior to getting into the display (no medication).

ill try and catch him and put him in a qt tank.
Besides NEOPLEX, any other remedy you can suggest? perhaps some OTC stuff from the pharmacy?
I live in Vietnam, and Seachem Neoplex doesnt look like available.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish aggression can start later when all fish start getting bigger and more territorial.

OP
OP
J

JimmyNg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.

No fish have been added since the gem, actually latest addision to the tank was 6m+ ago which was a few coral frags. He was observed in a qt tank for 2months prior to getting into the display (no medication).

ill try and catch him and put him in a qt tank.
Besides NEOPLEX, any other remedy you can suggest? perhaps some OTC stuff from the pharmacy?
I live in Vietnam, and Seachem Neoplex doesnt look like available.
BTW, have a bottle of Paraguard available, would that be of any use?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know zithromax is available. The STD wonderpill
It has some activity against gram negatives, more against gram positives. Are you going to dose in hospital tank?

Edit: Here is the
Dosage…Use one tablet [ 250mg. ] per 10 gallons water

Dissolve in small amount of water, add directly into aquarium, pond or hospital tank

Repeat every 24 hours for 5-6 days, do not exceed 6 days

It’s recommended that 1/4 water change be made daily during treatment. I think this is for freshwater - but It can be used in reef tanks as well

EDIT - this was a quote from another site. Do your own diligence before trusting this recipe - since there are a couple.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend dosing any antibiotic in a hospital tank if possible

OP
OP
J

JimmyNg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has some activity against gram negatives, more against gram positives. Are you going to dose in hospital tank?

Edit: Here is the
Dosage…Use one tablet [ 250mg. ] per 10 gallons water

Dissolve in small amount of water, add directly into aquarium, pond or hospital tank

Repeat every 24 hours for 5-6 days, do not exceed 6 days

It’s recommended that 1/4 water change be made daily during treatment. I think this is for freshwater - but It can be used in reef tanks as well

EDIT - this was a quote from another site. Do your own diligence before trusting this recipe - since there are a couple.
Thank you will look into it.

And yes would be in a separate hospital tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back