Icky Ick?

starpilot77

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2022
Messages
4
Reaction score
24
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there reefers,
I am fairly new here, now have two small tanks 120L and 160l and have been loving the hobby.

I went away for the first time for 5 days and my nephew stayed at my place to look after my animals. He did a good job but I just got back and notice my blue tang has a bunch of white bumps/spots so am wondering if this is ICK?

I did my normal weekly water changes the night before I left and I’m positive he wasn’t showing any at all. Now he looks bad!! . This 160L tank was only obtained 5 weeks ago with the fish so I am unsure of the history but they have all been in good health since I’ve had it.

It’s hard to not feel awful as I obviously don’t want them all to die.

I assume if it’s ick I need to quarantine all the fish and start a copper treatment but can I start with the BT on his own and see how I go? None of the others seem affected yet. Or should I just bite the bullet knowing that it’s in my tank?

Any advice you have would be appreciated.
Photos attached of my lovely big boy.

Thanks!

E2ED4176-2BC0-43DD-870B-AC3BEB54490D.jpeg C5F6FD08-8F6B-4E9B-866B-AFCAEA0555C9.jpeg 10826BC4-1E26-423D-ADF2-AAACE10E132A.jpeg 37FF1797-2056-4FFD-94C5-031638574D7E.jpeg
 
I would guess that if he has it the coral beauty will start to show it as well. Ich can be a problem before it shows so treating all is a good idea. Plus if you don’t go fallow the tang will probably get reinfected when you put him back in.
 
Upvote 0
Hi there reefers,
I am fairly new here, now have two small tanks 120L and 160l and have been loving the hobby.

I went away for the first time for 5 days and my nephew stayed at my place to look after my animals. He did a good job but I just got back and notice my blue tang has a bunch of white bumps/spots so am wondering if this is ICK?

I did my normal weekly water changes the night before I left and I’m positive he wasn’t showing any at all. Now he looks bad!! . This 160L tank was only obtained 5 weeks ago with the fish so I am unsure of the history but they have all been in good health since I’ve had it.

It’s hard to not feel awful as I obviously don’t want them all to die.

I assume if it’s ick I need to quarantine all the fish and start a copper treatment but can I start with the BT on his own and see how I go? None of the others seem affected yet. Or should I just bite the bullet knowing that it’s in my tank?

Any advice you have would be appreciated.
Photos attached of my lovely big boy.

Thanks!

E2ED4176-2BC0-43DD-870B-AC3BEB54490D.jpeg C5F6FD08-8F6B-4E9B-866B-AFCAEA0555C9.jpeg 10826BC4-1E26-423D-ADF2-AAACE10E132A.jpeg 37FF1797-2056-4FFD-94C5-031638574D7E.jpeg
This is cryptocaryon which is marine ich.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
 
Upvote 0
I just want to add that I would rehome the blue tang after you QT it. A 40g is no is no place for a tang that size. I know it came with your tank but disease can end up a re-occurring issue when fish this large are in small tanks. It is stressful for them.
 
Upvote 0
This is cryptocaryon which is marine ich.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Or even a 5 gallon bucket with heater and bubble filter.
 
Upvote 0
Or even a 5 gallon bucket with heater and bubble filter.
A bucket will stress fish out and limited to provide hiding tubes and while ok for a dip- Unsuitable for 30 days treatment
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new