ICP Results Analysis

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So a few weeks ago, I've been experiencing some random deaths with a flame hawk and a bi-color blenny suddenly degenerating out of nowhere. There was a massive discussion I had before on things like salinity, stray voltage ETC and I just recently got the results of my ICP back and was wondering if an expert could help me analyze what the next best course of action would be.

Would anything provided here explain sudden fish loss? No heavy metals in the water apparently but maybe something like lithium? I'm not sure.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your source water? I see that P, PO4, and Si are high, at least for a reef tank. I can't say for fish. As well Li is high, about double NSW, again the effect on fish is unknown to me. High nutrients are generally a result of the substrate, rock, or source water amongst many other possibilities. Hopefully, someone else here can speak to the effects of these levels on vertebrates.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your source water? I see that P, PO4, and Si are high, at least for a reef tank. I can't say for fish. As well Li is high, about double NSW, again the effect on fish is unknown to me. High nutrients are generally a result of the substrate, rock, or source water amongst many other possibilities. Hopefully, someone else here can speak to the effects of these levels on vertebrates.
It is planned to be a reef tank but there weren't any corals at the time of the fish deaths. They weren't gradual deaths either they just suddenly exhibited a loss of color and health and quickly died a few days later for seemingly little reason. Aggression is possible but the flame hawkfish died only when its other tankmate was the bicolor blenny. After its death I added a royal gramma and then the bicolor blenny died a few weeks later. Stray voltage was also tested for and nothing. All arrivals were quarantined as well in 30 days of copper+ metro and 7 with prazipro. I even checked the flame hawk for flukes once and came up with nothing. My source water is from an LFS and it's RO/DI.

The tank is super clean and that's another issue I've been having. I'll link my og post here so you can see what we've been gathering.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is planned to be a reef tank but there weren't any corals at the time of the fish deaths. They weren't gradual deaths either they just suddenly exhibited a loss of color and health and quickly died a few days later for seemingly little reason. Aggression is possible but the flame hawkfish died only when its other tankmate was the bicolor blenny. After its death I added a royal gramma and then the bicolor blenny died a few weeks later. Stray voltage was also tested for and nothing. All arrivals were quarantined as well in 30 days of copper+ metro and 7 with prazipro. I even checked the flame hawk for flukes once and came up with nothing. My source water is from an LFS and it's RO/DI.

The tank is super clean and that's another issue I've been having. I'll link my og post here so you can see what we've been gathering.
Again, what is your source water?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed that in the previous response. :rolleyes: Might want to have them check their water for P, PO4, but most importantly Si. They may need a silica buster stage canister added.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed that in the previous response. :rolleyes: Might want to have them check their water for P, PO4, but most importantly Si. They may need a silica buster stage canister added.
Would that explain the sudden fish loss though? I guess I'll try using a home RO/DI...
I'm seriously at a loss for what could be happening.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So a few weeks ago, I've been experiencing some random deaths with a flame hawk and a bi-color blenny suddenly degenerating out of nowhere. There was a massive discussion I had before on things like salinity, stray voltage ETC and I just recently got the results of my ICP back and was wondering if an expert could help me analyze what the next best course of action would be.

Would anything provided here explain sudden fish loss? No heavy metals in the water apparently but maybe something like lithium? I'm not sure.

I do not see anything that is a fish killer.

Most often, that is ammonia or disease.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back