ICP Test Shows Zero Iodine

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took our water sample for the ICP test and tested parameters with our Red Sea iodine against the same water. Red Sea says that Iodine is perfect at 0.06ppm and ICP says that Iodine is 13µg/l (which converts to 0.001ppm using http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/ug_lppm.php). I'd expect that the ICP is a lot more accurate than our hobby test kit, but it's wild to see that they're that far off. From what Triton's test says, I should be reading almost zero on the Red Sea kit.

This makes me nervous when it comes to adjusting iodine in our aquarium.

What would you do in this instance?

1653934658698.png

You have a math mistake in your post.

13 ug/l = 0.013 ppm (not 0.001 ppm)

It's still not at natural seawater levels, but its not zero.

Have you tried the Red Sea kit on other water samples and gotten lower levels?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And water changes alone will not maintain minor and trace elements in balance long term. It is not an ionically balanced process.

I didn't dose most trace elements and some were fine (e.g., zinc). Foods add a lot of trace elements, Folks neglect that.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton ICP came back as 0 iodine also. I've not tested iodine with any home based kit but have started dosing as per their instruction.
If you are running charcoal then it will eat iodine I've read.
Plus fish and corals take it in. So unless you do big WC weekly then I see no reason why iodine may not be detectable.
If you are not replenishing it manually

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running charcoal then it will eat iodine I've read.
Plus fish and corals take it in. So unless you do big WC weekly then I see no reason why iodine may not be detectable.
If you are not replenishing it manually

Not true.

That's a myth based on a misunderstanding of the "iodine test" for I2 binding to GAC from freshwater. That's not the form present in seawater.

Iodide is mostly consumed by algae.

I'm not personally convinced most corals need it, and the scientific literature shows no such need for most, but some people do think it helpful.

I dosed it for 10 years, then stopped and nothing apparently changed for the next 10 years of not dosing. Iodine read 0.022 ppm by Triton years after I stopped dosing.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust ipc lab testing over hobby kits. But that is my personal opinion. You can start dosing a little of iodine and send out another icp in a month or 2. Are you seeing signs of distressed coral (may or not be caused by lack of iodine)
You should't.

We've had several people send in certified NIST reference samples to these sort of ICP companies and received back results that are nothing short of nonsense.

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older post, but it caught my eye because I'm having the same issue as the OP.

Regular ICP analysis over the past five months has consistently shown my iodine to be on the low side - anywhere from 0.008 to 0.023 ppm. While the RS Iodine Pro Test Kit has consistently shown it to be right on target at 0.06 ppm. And the home test was done on samples taken from the tank at the same time that samples were taken for ICP analysis.

I'm wondering if the iodine in the samples sent for ICP could degrade during the shipping period? Perhaps there are some sort of micro-organisms in the sample metabolizing it? Or some other chemical reaction taking place?

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the great IODINE debate and now add to it the ICP mystery of Low Iodine for every reefer out there. .It makes me think its a gimmick to make u buy triton iodine. for reals every 1st icp trition test u will get 0 iodine then u start dosing it and on the next icp ur over on iodine lol ... I hope some day this dabate will be settled, Triton laughing to the bank on iodine sales lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the iodine in the samples sent for ICP could degrade during the shipping period? Perhaps there are some sort of micro-organisms in the sample metabolizing it? Or some other chemical reaction taking place?

It cannot be degraded, but it theoretically can be removed somehow. I think that is unlikely, however, since it would require a lot of growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back