Icp test

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is it all testing for? Just curious since it is my first time and seeing you done it multiple times.

All sorts of things. ATI tests for calcium, magnesium, barium, strontium, molybdenum, fluorine, phosphorus, aluminum, and many many more. I think there are like 42 elements they test for.

They also check your alkalinity, nitrates, and salinity. Which is a nice cross reference to see how your tests are doing.

Another bonus for ATI is you send in a vial of your RO water to be tested

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sorts of things. ATI tests for calcium, magnesium, barium, strontium, molybdenum, fluorine, phosphorus, aluminum, and many many more. I think there are like 42 elements they test for.

They also check your alkalinity, nitrates, and salinity. Which is a nice cross reference to see how your tests are doing.

Another bonus for ATI is you send in a vial of your RO water to be tested
If there is anything that is out of good range, do they give suggestions to fix? I ask because the api (crappy) spin test will give you a whole list, in turn usually the wrong way to go about things

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Triton ICPs regularly; very happy with them although it is really more a part of the Triton system. If Reef Factory ICPs has made its way to the US yet i'd recommend them. Dead easy to use, results are available in your RF app with recommendations on how to fix parameters out of range.

Reef Zelements from D&D are also good..

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Triton ICPs regularly; very happy with them although it is really more a part of the Triton system. If Reef Factory ICPs has made its way to the US yet i'd recommend them. Dead easy to use, results are available in your RF app with recommendations on how to fix parameters out of range.

Reef Zelements from D&D are also good..
I’ll look into that one as well before I order a test

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If there is anything that is out of good range, do they give suggestions to fix? I ask because the api (crappy) spin test will give you a whole list, in turn usually the wrong way to go about things

ATI has recommendations on what to add if you want to go down that route. If things are too high, then a couple large water changes are your best bet.

If you really want to get into trace element stuff, look up Reef Moonshiners. I followed that system for 2 years. I take the information found in the handbook and adapted it for my own use now. I got tired of dosing a dozen bottles a day of stuff. Since stopping about 6 months ago, I have seen zero negative reactions from not making sure I had Rubidium (insert any other super random trace here) in my tank

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI has recommendations on what to add if you want to go down that route. If things are too high, then a couple large water changes are your best bet.

If you really want to get into trace element stuff, look up Reef Moonshiners. I followed that system for 2 years. I take the information found in the handbook and adapted it for my own use now. I got tired of dosing a dozen bottles a day of stuff. Since stopping about 6 months ago, I have seen zero negative reactions from not making sure I had Rubidium (insert any other super random trace here) in my tank
My trace elements hasn’t really been all that bad until everything else started going haywire. I have done several big water changes in the last few weeks and not much of anything has changed. Sorta why I’m figuring that there’s a possibility of whatever it is has locked in to my rocks and sand.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They do, but you are better off asking here if it is worth fixing and what is the best way. Many corrections are a waste of time and money, and they will often recommend an associated line of products that also may not be optimal.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, but you are better off asking here if it is worth fixing and what is the best way. Many corrections are a waste of time and money, and they will often recommend an associated line of products that also may not be optimal.
That was my full intention due to like you said time and money gone to waste following corporate suggestions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back