ICP Testing is in, would appreciate some input

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R! This is such a great forum, am really hoping to get some insight on my ICP results. I've done the ATI and this is the first time for the ICP.

Results came back today, would really value some input on some of the numbers. If some feedback from Randy Holmes- Farley that would be AMAZING, you have been such a help in so many areas throughout the last 12 months in getting my reef tank going.

System is 139 gallons and turning 1 next month.

Here they are...thanks in advance.

Here is some information to give you some perspective in ICP testing

http://packedhead.net/2015/triton-lab-icp-oes-testing-of-a-certified-artificial-saltwater-standard/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. My nitrate runs 8-10ppm. It was close to 20ppm when the montis were nicely colored.

I do have 2 marine pure blocks in my sump. Thoughts on those? Thanks!

If the Marine Pure blocks are crumbling and releasing ions, you'd likely see elevated aluminum as well. Assuming this company has accurate data for aluminum, then the Marine Pure is not likely a big source of silicate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I hear ICP is very accurate and I just acquired my first kit and mailing samples soon.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just a note of caution with regard to the test results you get from ICP testing.... Here is a link to an interesting article by Rich Ross on Triton Lab test results...Worth a read to put some perspective on the ICP results you will get

http://packedhead.net/2015/triton-lab-icp-oes-testing-of-a-certified-artificial-saltwater-standard/

Rick

Thank you. Knowledge is power in this hobby and wow this raises a lot of question on accuracy, testing method, and reliability of results. . . . hmmmm.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Knowledge is power in this hobby and wow this raises a lot of question on accuracy, testing method, and reliability of results. . . . hmmmm.

Just to be fair, note that most of the substantially erroneous values are in trace elements, where folks are not typically as interested in high accuracy. Most people look at those with an eye toward too much? some? none? not exact values.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy is correct...the major elements that we are most interested in are quite accurate...That being said I am aware of people who "chase the numbers" on some of the minor elements...forewarned is forearmed...As was mentioned in the article It would be helpful to see a second round of tests to see the reproducability of the test but that certified seawater is EXPENSIVE!! about $800 per liter ...

Rick

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back