ICP Testing with Moonshiners

TheCuriousReefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Usa
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in starting the moonshiners method on my reef tank. I have a ton of other ICP-OES testing kits. However, none are ATI kits. Can other ICP-OES test be used and still produce valid and accurate results? I would love to start the method using the box of 14 fauna Marin ICP tests instead of having to start buying new tests. I will if that is my only option.

Additionally Is there any tips anyone can offer? I have a Waterbox Marine X 110.4 that is SPS only. I really want to get the amazing color and growth that I see everyone achieving with moonshiners.
 
I currently run moonshiners and really like it. I started off using the moonshiners tests and while I think they are the best testing I do not like how expensive the shipping is to get the tests. I currently use the ATI test because my local store carries that. Looking at the reviews on the fauna marine test kit I think it looks good and since you have those I would use them up and plug in the numbers for the ATI test calculator.

I would suggest joining the Facebook moonshiners group and ask any questions on there about the program. They have helped me a lot! There is a lot of good support on there. Also one thing I do not like to dose my tank is aminos so I do not use the moonshiners Vitamin X.
 
For trace element dosing, I’d use Oceamo icp-ms. A good quality icp-aes is likely adequate for minor and major ions. I don’t have enough info to comment on the Fauna Marin icp accuracy.
 
I currently run moonshiners and really like it. I started off using the moonshiners tests and while I think they are the best testing I do not like how expensive the shipping is to get the tests. I currently use the ATI test because my local store carries that. Looking at the reviews on the fauna marine test kit I think it looks good and since you have those I would use them up and plug in the numbers for the ATI test calculator.

I would suggest joining the Facebook moonshiners group and ask any questions on there about the program. They have helped me a lot! There is a lot of good support on there. Also one thing I do not like to dose my tank is aminos so I do not use the moonshiners Vitamin X.
I agree, the shipping is ludicrous for the test kit...$17.00 dollars for shipping 1 test kit to NC
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new