ICP testing

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right I know nothing about your company. BUT, I am an expert chemist with a PhD from Harvard and I know a lot about ICP and have run them on many sorts of materials, including seawater for many articles I have written.

You may do things perfectly well, but your poor description does not lead to confidence and I'd suggest you change it before coming on and blasting my comments as being equivalent to the National Enquirer. :(

Now I stop being nice.

Your sentence about alkalinity is total nonsensical crap. It is not simplified. It is just wrong, so very wrong.

There is no reason anyone should have confidence in your data with such an utterly incorrect definition of a term at the very heart of chemical reef keeping:

" I know, I did not mention alkalinity. Alkalinity is not an element. It is a term used when we calculate how stable our pH is, i.e. the buffer. The buffer is calculated from compounds containing Ca and a hydroxide compound (OH). Since OH is a compound, ICP-OES will not perform the calculation of alkalinity."

I learn something new everyday on the forum. Today I learned not to mess with Randy ;Punch;Dead

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this video, on the test results, really makes me wonder if these are any good at all. I was considering getting one done on my tank, but they vary so widely, now I am thinking otherwise.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this video, on the test results, really makes me wonder if these are any good at all. I was considering getting one done on my tank, but they vary so widely, now I am thinking otherwise.
This is the reason I hate testing in general. Having to calibrate the calibrator 3 levels deep makes me crazy.

I know you have to start somewhere as a baseline but I wish it was easier and more consistent.
[emoji848]

Jacob2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen what Randy claims and what he has done with the two part, which is first year general chemistry lab work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out 15 years ago Randy was the real deal.

Not only is he a respected chemist, but also a great reefer.

Anybody that can keep Gigantea anemones longterm is an excellent reefer in my book. :)

lol

Thanks!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen what Randy claims and what he has done with the two part, which is first year general chemistry lab work. He claims to be the God of reef chemistry yet he has not proven that he knows his thumb from his *** on ICP.
Wow, which company or entity do you work for that randy has embarrassed with his knowledge. Lol

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen what Randy claims and what he has done with the two part, which is first year general chemistry lab work. He claims to be the God of reef chemistry yet he has not proven that he knows his thumb from his *** on ICP.
@Randy Holmes-Farley is a very well respected member of not only the reefing community, but this community that is R2R. Talk like that is not warranted or allowed. There are better ways to voice your opinion.

Last edited:

Jacob2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve worked on ICP-OES machines for 15 years and after reading the threads it appears everyone just agrees with Randy because he is a chemist. If you want to know about ICP then talk to an expert on ICP and not a chemist who is likely a liberal University professor that can’t make it in the real world.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve worked on ICP-OES machines for 15 years and after reading the threads it appears everyone just agrees with Randy because he is a chemist. If you want to know about ICP then talk to an expert on ICP and not a chemist who is likely a liberal University professor that can’t make it in the real world.
Seriously read the rules that you agreed to when joining. Personal attacks and politics are not tolerated

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is unnecessary. If you have something to prove, then prove it. Your opinion is always valued but not in this context.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, as stated above, please change your demeanor. Personal attacks towards anyone, not just Randy, is not permitted. There are better ways to voice your opinion and disagree with someone. Please explore them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to trash talk about me, at least get your facts straight.

The drugs I have invented in the real world sell more than a billion dollars worth each year, treating tens of thousands of patients and saving them from premature death. Try googling Renagel, Renvela, and Welchol.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bam-mic-drop.gif

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back