ID Algae in QT

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish QT cycled about 1 month ago and I am treating two clowns and a cardinal with coppersafe. I did a WC about a 8 days ago (maintained Copper therapeutic level) but I have this nasty dark brown algae growing. I compared it to some of the other pics out there and it does not look like diatoms. I am trying to keep the WCs at a minimum as to not interrupt the copper treatment. I typically feed frozen mysis and a small amount of brine once per day. Every other day, I might feed some flakes.

Any idea what this stuff is and should I be concerned or do something about it? If so, what should I do?

Thanks
Steve

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that in my QTs. Use one of these to wipe it away as needed. These really absorb all kinds of algae. And you can clean them with bleach, rinse, rinse, and dry, for reuse until they start to fall apart.
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 1.34.55 PM.png

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure but That looks like cyno bacteria too me ,if your lFS has a microscope they can check it for you !

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. How bad is cyno and how do I prevent it from coming back? Will it hurt the fish?

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. How bad is cyno and how do I prevent it from coming back? Will it hurt the fish?
Cyno is a bacteria which you will want to address in the QT so not to have a major issue in the display. Check the forums for options on treating; there's chemical options or counter bacteria/waste approaches. Noting you are dealing in the QT might make this more of a preference vs what someone else might have done. My experience here is that its not a "quick" fix to make and in some cases I found that I needed to better cleanse my frozen foods before feeding.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno is a bacteria which you will want to address in the QT so not to have a major issue in the display. Check the forums for options on treating; there's chemical options or counter bacteria/waste approaches. Noting you are dealing in the QT might make this more of a preference vs what someone else might have done. My experience here is that its not a "quick" fix to make and in some cases I found that I needed to better cleanse my frozen foods before feeding.

Thanks. How do you clean your frozen? Since I am treating w coppersafe, I will go w a holistic approach (lights out). I read cyan needs light and if you cut if off, it will go away after a few days. I will also try wiping it down and hope this speeds up the process.

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my feeding process takes me a bit of time and I've been told its problematic but works for me... I typically will take a cube of say mysis and thaw it with just enough tank water in a small dosing cup to cover the cube. once thawed, I rinse in a net with just a bit of RO to get things "washed off" then use a clean dosing cup to mix the food with tank water. Total is about 30min to prep including thaw time.

Gets all the nasty water from the original cube out of the mix, lets me start with thawed food which the critter like better, and I even dose the food with vitamin or reef foods as well, plus the tank water gets it to common SG so its floating and consumable rate is equal with tank water.

Lights out will help with the cyno if you do regulate the waste in the QT too. without any substrate you should correct this pretty quickly though.

Good Luck!

Back