ID assistance

stan13ag

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2010
Messages
118
Reaction score
43
Location
SW Mo
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this from a janky coral selection at my lfs for $10 thinking it was a cool cyohastrea with some potential. Now that it's recovered a bit, I'm noticing the polyps are stacked pretty neatly with some decent PE, I no longer think I got a cyphastrea, but a goni on death's door? It's been in my tank a month now and the polyps seem to be getting bigger every time I look at it.

PXL_20210105_152938128.jpg
 
This is what it looked like in November when I got it.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20201216_203328613.jpg
    PXL_20201216_203328613.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 78
Looks like cheeseheads
 
Some cyphastrea have crazy polyp extension like that.
 
Some cyphastrea have crazy polyp extension like that.

This is true, but I also have a bizzaro and meteor shower in the same tank, and this one just seems off.... there has been an empty "hole" in the middle of the frag for a while now, and I would have expected some more tissue growth/encrusting in a month's time. Maybe more time is going to be needed with this one.
 
While straight Google searching cyphastrea morphs, I ended up finding a picture by WWC that looks extremely close. I haven't blasted this thing with blue light, but I'm guessing it is a twin of this guy.. so maybe I was right in the first place.
 

Attachments

  • W-062920-12_1800x1800.jpg
    W-062920-12_1800x1800.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 68
Ive had this frag just laying around on the sand a while now and it seems to have settled in like this... So I guess im still in the cyphastrea camp.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210714_201827065.jpg
    PXL_20210714_201827065.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 63

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new