ID: Brown String Algae on Sand & Rocks

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brown stringy algae(?) on my sand and rock. I cleaned my sand, via siphon, and it came right back quickly. My nitrates are under 10. My phosphates are high. In one day my LFS measured at .6, a Hach DR890 measured at .36 and Hanna measured at .17. So only a higher power knows the real number. I use live rock, sand bed, cheato, gfo and bio-pellets for filtration. There is also some red cayno.
GOPR0259_1506043984433_high.JPG
GOPR0258_1506043984433_high.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a newly setup tank?

I'm afraid to say but you might have a form of Dino's here.

Correct on using different test kits you will get some what different test results.

There are a few on the #reefsquad that can tell you a game plan to tackle the Dino's.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases we can rule diatom algae out if the tank is a year old.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases we can rule diatom algae out if the tank is a year old.

Would performing several large water changes in a short time trigger diatoms? I did this about two weeks ago when my nitrates rose to 20. Guess I'm fishing for them to be something other than dinos.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes will only lower the No3 imo other than your new mixed saltwater has a elevated No3 level.
Test for your new mixed salt water.
Logical say on a 100 gallon tank and No3 is 20ppm and you do a 50% water change your No3 should be when done 10ppm.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks probably has something to contribute.

I'm pretty sure the only way to know for sure what you're dealing with is by using a microscope. Diatoms can happen if you disturb the sanded enough, as they feed off of silicates in the sand. I've never seen stringy diatoms though. Just the "dusty" stuff that blows/brushes of super easy.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those pictures are not dino's.

What??? Most all of those pictures are dinos. There are a couple that aren't, but from what universe are the majority of those not pictures of dinoflagellate outbreaks??? Why would you add a comment that is not only untrue, but patently unproductive to helping the OP get started treating what are obviously dinos in his system?? I've seen a lot of dino and this guy has them. They aren't fun but can be dealt with effectively. Let's get the OP the advice and help he needs rather than confusing the issue by saying that a picture of a duck isn't a duck.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What??? Most all of those pictures are dinos. There are a couple that aren't, but from what universe are the majority of those not pictures of dinoflagellate outbreaks??? Why would you add a comment that is not only untrue, but patently unproductive to helping the OP get started treating what are obviously dinos in his system?? I've seen a lot of dino and this guy has them. They aren't fun but can be dealt with effectively. Let's get the OP the advice and help he needs rather than confusing the issue by saying that a picture of a duck isn't a duck.
What makes you so sure that they are? Here are examples that are not. my cyano outbreak looked identical to these. The only thing I see as unproductive is googling something and not following through on proper research. Instead, as soon as a picture is posted that even resembles what someone "thinks" is xxxx, is automatically xxxx.

972289.jpg

download.jpg

How-to-Get-Rid-of-Dinoflagellates.jpg

image (2) BGA Petco.jpg

IMG_20130706_154438.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love algae, slime, etc:mad: Typically dinos thrive under low nutrients or when nutrients are limited. There are many varieties of dinos however, in this case, I want to go with calothrix. Considering the tanks age, the amount of nutrients if any new equipment or large water changes were performed, rocks moved, sand disrupted, it's most likely a mixture of cyano and diatoms AKA calothrix. It could also be a result of low pH.

I don't want to make a definitive ID based on limited information, though. Can you show more pictures of the rocks and corals. Any new additions in the last 30 days?
When was the last time you changed out GFO?
Light schedule?
Tank Size?
What are you using to measure Nitrates?
Skimmer?
Filter socks or poly fil?

Just need more information...sorry

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you so sure that they are? Here are examples that are not. my cyano outbreak looked identical to these. The only thing I see as unproductive is googling something and not following through on proper research. Instead, as soon as a picture is posted that even resembles what someone "thinks" is xxxx, is automatically xxxx.

972289.jpg

download.jpg

How-to-Get-Rid-of-Dinoflagellates.jpg

image (2) BGA Petco.jpg

IMG_20130706_154438.jpg
Lol so you disregard your own rule of x picture looks like x picture so it must be so... How can you be sure that those pictures are representative of your cyano outbreak just because they look like it. Maybe your cyano outbreak happened to look just like dinos and was a rare type. I think everyone should use a microscope to ID their various slime algaes and other blooms, but to go out and say that pictures posted labeled as dino outbreaks are mostly not pics of dinos just cause you had a cyano outbreak that looked like it is rich. Very rich indeed. I love your case study of one. It is holotype for all slime outbreaks for sure...

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol so you disregard your own rule of x picture looks like x picture so it must be so... How can you be sure that those pictures are representative of your cyano outbreak just because they look like it. Maybe your cyano outbreak happened to look just like dinos and was a rare type. I think everyone should use a microscope to ID their various slime algaes and other blooms, but to go out and say that pictures posted labeled as dino outbreaks are mostly not pics of dinos just cause you had a cyano outbreak that looked like it is rich. Very rich indeed. I love your case study of one. It is holotype for all slime outbreaks for sure...
Its not rich. It's fact. You still have yet to share one ounce of why you claim those pictures are dino's. My case wasn't rare. Many others experience the same and are automatically told "dino's because of the "air bubble". Its irresponsible to tell someone that without first knowing for sure one way or another. One is an easy fix. One is not. I keep your reading your posts and essentially are you patronizing me. That fine. Thats your right. I anxiously await to hear what makes you an expert on dino. I haven't read anything that states it's your expertise.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be testing again in the morning. I have a feeling I know what contributed to it. I run BRS biopellets. I recently also started dosing Red Sea NoPox because my phosphates are high. Not realizing they are both organic carbon.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not but I think you deal with tank starvation.
Give me some test results and also your potassium level, I bet that will be low.
It can be simple correction though.
Will tag my good friend @PSXerholic (Andre) in here who basically has a write up about this.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back