ID help

CanadianSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy friends!

I've had this tank running for a little over a year now. I basically haven't touched the stocking since January. Two clown fish, a halloween hermit, a coupl eof snails, and then some coral. I have a handful of chaeto in the sump section.

I'm dealing with this algae all over. I haven't done much with it - I just do my normal tank maintance (water changes every couple weeks, scrub the glass on the front and side). I don't actually have a phos test, and I used up my nitrate test recently (I have a turtle and a freshwater tank too). I'm going to pick that up when amazon delivers.

Before I get those test results, is anyone able to ID this off looks alone?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy friends!

I've had this tank running for a little over a year now. I basically haven't touched the stocking since January. Two clown fish, a halloween hermit, a coupl eof snails, and then some coral. I have a handful of chaeto in the sump section.

I'm dealing with this algae all over. I haven't done much with it - I just do my normal tank maintance (water changes every couple weeks, scrub the glass on the front and side). I don't actually have a phos test, and I used up my nitrate test recently (I have a turtle and a freshwater tank too). I'm going to pick that up when amazon delivers.

Before I get those test results, is anyone able to ID this off looks alone?

It doesn't look too bad. My guess would be some sort of turf algae. You can try adding Mexican turbo snails and/or an urchin.

What size is your tank? If it's large enough, and if you're planning on adding more fish, saltwater mollies are reported to be very good algae eaters.

OP
OP
CanadianSpaghetti

CanadianSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of bubbles and what looks like the consistency of snot. When you blast it with a pipette or turkey baster does it blow away then come back after a while?
yup! I have a chopstick that I poke it with, and it comes off the rock pretty easily

OP
OP
CanadianSpaghetti

CanadianSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the house, but I have some at school (I teach grade 7). I can grab one on monday.

I'll be looking for these?

1698533938662.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back