ID Hitchiker pls

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cherim7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cherim7

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2014
Messages
130
Reaction score
77
Location
George, South Africa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know under what to post it really as I don't know what it is. Was found on zoas of a friend

downloadfile-9.jpg
 
Looks to be a Fire Anemone type, pretty uncommon to see in this hobby.
 
Looks to be a Fire Anemone type, pretty uncommon to see in this hobby.

I agree.... we used to call them Bali Anemones and I haven't seen one in yeeeeears.
 
I would love to see more photos of that.
 
I'm not sure what a Hellfire is, but the one we called a Bali Anemone is indeed a big stinger..... I need to look up some scientific name.
 
The Bali is a Megalactis hemprichi, which seems to be also called a Hellfire as a common name. When I look up Hellfire on it's own, it's also connected with the scientific name Actinodendron plumosum.

They all = FIRE! They are all the same grouping.
 
The Bali is a Megalactis hemprichi, which seems to be also called a Hellfire as a common name. When I look up Hellfire on it's own, it's also connected with the scientific name Actinodendron plumosum.

They all = FIRE! They are all the same grouping.

Haha something about the name Hellfire seems more appropriate... It entitles it's magnificent stinging abilities ;)

WWC had one for sale a while back that was gorgeous and I was tempted to purchase it. Upon research, I was no longer interested.
 
Actually, lemme correct myself. Megalactis hemprichi is no longer as an accepted name. The correct name is Megalactis hemprichii, with 2 "i"s.
 
I've seen ONE brought into the LFS and this was maybe 15 years ago. I primarily know about them from Scuba.
 
Actually, lemme correct myself. Megalactis hemprichi is no longer as an accepted name. The correct name is Megalactis hemprichii, with 2 "i"s.

Scolymia becoming Homophyllia... Apparently orange is the new black too ;)

I'm glad the extra "i" helps better identify the species... Lol :p
 
It's been a good hitchhiker week. I see something cool and rare (the anemone here) and someone has a for realz fire worm, the Big Boss Hermodice carunculata.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new